"Dollar" Store Slingshot - THE WINNER!!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Withak, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Before I make the "official" announcement, I have a few thanks to issue:

First, thank you to Joerg for allowing me to put this contest together on his forum, which is, admittedly, one of the finest forums to be found anywhere.

Second, to everyone who participated, thank you for jumping in on this and building some amazing slingshots! I've been schooled by you folks. Seeing the final creations, it's clear to me that I really didn't appreciate the types of things you could make with low-end materials. I will never again disrespect a piece of paper, plastic or pot-metal. You folks all showed some serious skill as well as some dazzling creativity, and for that, you have my respect :D

And a thank you again to Buckshot500 for his 'tater masher' slingshot post that inspired this contest.

We saw everything from very simple slingshots and stickshots made with only one or two items to laminated creations using wood, plastic and paper, to an over-the-top version of the Starship Enterprise, which, if there was a prize for most creative, would have taken that category easily. In then end, it was a traditional style/method that captured the hearts of the voters.

The contest itself got a much better response than I could have imagined. As of today, there are over 10,000 views of the original contest thread, as well as almost 400 posts, at least half of which were some moderate attempts at trash talking ;) Clearly, folks were having fun with this one and it was my pleasure to be involved. I hope that, like me, you have all been inspired to expand your thinking when it comes to materials for slingshot building. You don't have to spend a fortune to build a great slingshot.

So without further delay, the winner of the 2014 "Dollar" Store Slingshot Build Contest is:

DOLOMITE!!! with his "ghettocarta" shooter. Congratulations Dolo on a fine entry and for showing everyone how it's done.

[​IMG]

In the end we had 42 different members of the forum cast votes for their favorites. The top 5 entries, in order of votes received were:

#1 - Dolomite (entry 17) - 30 votes
    #2 - BrazilViking (entry 22) - 19 votes
    #3 - Flipgun (entry 6) - 14 votes
    #4 - VWScooby (entry 20) - 11 votes
    #5 - Tie - Wildbill (entry 8) and Drew Bilbrey (entry 15) - 10 votes

Thanks again everyone for a great contest! I can't wait until the next one. Rumor has it, that will happen down the road, and the idea is already in the works :)

Dolomite - your prize will be on its way to you this week - enjoy.

I believe that now makes (2) build contest wins for Dolo now. I wonder who will knock him off the peak in the next contest? Or will he become a triple threat?

Oh, and by the way, I wouldn't mind seeing just a wee bit of well-natured post-contest follow-up trash-talking. Just saying ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. FilipNilssob

FilipNilssob Lactose is my Kryptonite

3. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I want to say thanks to E for putting this contest together. The smack talk angle added to the fun, I checked the build thread for the jawing near as much as for new builds. I want to thank betty crocker for putting out a decent $hitty cutting board. And a shout-out to the #1 marine epoxy company, you know who you are. I want to thank the competition for helping to push the bounds of ghetto slingary, you guys have mucho corazon. I want to thank Scoobs for the blue leather and rolyan again, they matched my build nicely like the right haircut frames a beautiful face. The black, blue, red color scheme was an allusion to a critical beatdown, like a black eye and bloody nose. I want to thank my wife for putting up with me during the building time. She's my rock. Oh no, I'm feeling a little verklempt, talk amongst yourselves, topic: a peanut is neither a pea or a nut...discuss. I feel like I'm leaving somebody out...oh!, my agent, Jerry Maguire get up here! I got that Charlie Sheen tiger blood...alien warlock DNA...WINNING!
    Smack talk aside, thanks to all participants and voters, wether y'all voted for me or not.
    Let's see if we can 3peat!
    Thanks to gamekeeper for making such a fine slingy, I'm sure it'll be happy in my trophy case!

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Ahhh, "Coffee Talk", nice on a Monday morning :p

5. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Beautiful build! Worth the win Dolo, congrats!

6. Can-Opener

Can-Opener New Member

Congratulations! Dolomite, nicely done. :)

7. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Damn! Forgot to thank Linda Richmond, coffee talk was pure gold!

Thanks Jen!

Thanks. It means a lot coming from such a phenomenal builder:).

8. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

'Grats, Dolo. That was a sweet ghetto build. Designer colors, too! Does that slingshot match your tableware?

-Wild Bill

9. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Congratulations Bro!(but you know I let you win...)
    And withak, this was a really funny contest! Building mine helped me to unstress from the moving and all other stuff that I've been through recently!

10. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

First to Dolo for winning this.

Second to all of you for the fun and inspiration I was allowed to have as a spectator

And third a big thank you to Withak, who did a great job managing this
    contest!

Thanks to all of you,

Be

11. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Top notch sling dolomite, and the trash talk was superb:D
    Dolomite is starting to form a monopoly over these build contests. he won the one hour and now the dollar store too.

12. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Congratulations Dolomite, a worthy winner (I guess you should be lucky I didn't enter the competition :D )! And thank you E for setting up the contest, great work!

13. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Congrats Dolomite. Your "Oscar" acceptance speech was well rehearsed...but you forgot to thank your parents for giving you life.

Did the announcement of your win find you in the restroom like most other "Oscar" winners in years past? Will your trophies be kept in a lighted display case in the front room of your house? How often will you have them polished?

I was too new to the forum when this event started to supply an entry. Your 3-peat is a pipe dream.

14. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I'm starting to wonder if D has parents - legned has it that he spontaneously sprouted from a puddle of newly mixed Gflex spilled on some purpleheart and manzanita.

15. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Congratulations Dolo! A worthy winner, although its getting all a bit predictable. Someone starts a contest, Dolo wins it. What can you do?! ;) Joking aside, brilliant slingshot!

I was on the bubble missing out on a podium (damn BV and his last minute entry!) but what fun it was! Big thanks to Withak for the idea and putting up the prize :)

Oh, and here is a quick pic. The winner may have mentioned he liked snakeskin so I put a snake with the snakeskin so he could look at snakes while liking a snakeskin slingshot (everyone keeping up? ;) )

[​IMG]

16. dolomite

dolomite Banned

What a beauty Scoobs, ball pythons are such sweethearts. Mine is the nicest snake I've met.

17. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I paid E to run it when you didn't have time:D.

They thanked me for the miracle I am.
    I was still in bed.
    All my slingshots are in a lit trophy case in the front room, that's how good they are. E and BV
    have the honor of being represented as well.
    As frequently as I feel like polishing wood.
    As for the 'pipe dream'...bring it on!

The purpleheart was glued to the manzanita with tite bond and a Newcastle Brown was poured over the top, but the rest is true.

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I forgot to add that there will be a certificate arriving to Dolo in honor of his accomplishment as you'll see below. Dolo will receive a signed copy with his prize.

In addition, I've created a consolation certificate if anyone finds it interesting or amusing ;) If you made an entry and would like a copy for yourself, just send me a PM and your email address and I'll email you a personalized copy in .PDF you can print for yourselves :)

Attached Files:

19. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Congrats Dolo!

20. dolomite

dolomite Banned

E, I'm gonna frame that $hit! And you really are a damn nice guy.