Does1 Black Theraband tube equal 2 blues?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by BoyntonStu, Jan 16, 2014.

1. BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu Member

1> Are all bands the same speed with the same draw length with no projectile?

2> Are 2 blues both together pulled to 40 pounds equal to a single black pulled to 40 pounds (assume same draw length)?

2. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

EDIT: Just realised I misread this as bands not tubes, sorry! :eek:

If I understand it correctly, the same draw weight on a thinner band/tube will have the same power but be a lot faster firing. Please correct if Im wrong :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

3. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I assume you mean tubes of both color and not bands. If you can pull double blue tubes and find amme heavy enough to get the maximum result I would be surprised. Single blue tubes stretched at 350% shoot one inch marbles as far as id like. Also I would guess double blue is stronger than single black. Saying this I would use green tubes stretched to 500% for rocks. And big rocks.

4. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

That's a question to ask The Master of All Things Rubber/Joerg.
    Personally I don't know how it does work but I'm pretty sure that's not it...

5. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Rockslinger, wouldn't stretching to 500% drastically shorten band life?

Wouldn't it be better to shoot a little slower, slightly less power but have your setup last a lot longer?

6. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Ghost it depends on preference but you are right although tubes last longer than flats, so I am okay with it.

7. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

I've shot a lot of TTBlack but not a great deal of TTBlue but my impression from what I have done is that doubled Blue would give more power than single Black

8. BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu Member

To clarify my question.

My goal is 750 gn at 150 fps or faster.

Or approximately 50 g at 50 Mps.

The goal is to shoot a 50 g "rock/arrow" as fast as possible using 29" fork to pouch.

BTW I draw each side separately on my Xbow.

Each side is double black tubing.

9. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

50 grammes at 50 metres a second is asking quite a lot ! The nearest I have got to an objective measurement was when a kind gentleman analysed a vid and said that i had shot 38 grammes at 120 fps (giving a tad under 30 foot/pounds energy). That was with slightly pseudotapered Theratube Silver.
    If I was to try for what you're after I think i'd go for four strands a side of Dankung 50/80

BUT WHY NOT MAKE A SIMPLE STARSHIP ???!!!

[ame]http://youtu.be/pAwTfAMHCG0[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  10. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Oh dear...I think there's some confusion here! I've assumed that we are talking about slingshots...but I think that you are really talking about arrows. And that is something else altogether and explains the 29" limit on draw you mention
    And it means that the 50 grammes that you stipulate is entirely reasonable. Some of my larger arrows I call 'quarter-pounders' as they weigh in at well over 100 grammes.

My favourites for shooting heavier arrows are Silver Theratube and Purple DubDub. Both can handle the weight very easily.