DIY flare candle and s

Discussion in 'Zombie / Prepping related stuff' started by Ravensbull, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

DIY flare candle and SureFire starters!

These are easy to make out of nearly just garbage! The small ones are the fire starters. Simply a pressed paper (do not used the styrofoam ones) egg carton that you drop one to three cotton balls in each cup. Then you melt down all your old candle stubs or buy paraffin at the grocery store used for canning and fill the cups till they are about 2/3 full and try to make sure it soaks all the division material as well. When cut apart, the corners become the wick. These are obviously waterproof, one match light burn standing alone for plenty enough time to get even a wet wood fire going with pencil size twigs!
    The wicked one in the center is just a tuna tin or like sized can with a long strip of corrugated cardboard rolled up that is the width that the can is deep. Make sure to cut the strip the direction across the corrugations, not parallel to them. You want the holes up and down to wick the wax. The wick is just cotton kitchen string predipped in wax and inserted prior to pouring the tin full and saturating the cardboard. This burns first only the wick like a candle but then the flame creeps down to the top of the cardboard and will become the whole diameter of the can with about a 10-14 inch high flame! Don't know how long it will go for yet though but preburning one a bit then reinstalling a new wick makes them fully ignite faster! Great for emergencies,prepping,car trunk,glove box etc. If you make some make a good batch so your able to test some to understand their use and value.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Great idea. I've seen some stuff like this before, they're good to have on hand if for nothing more than an emergency. But they'd be great for camping too. I tried one where you take a toilet paper tube and stuff it with lint from the dryer - it really didn't work very well, was kind of a bust. This idea would probably work better.

3. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I recently watched one of the prison inside story reality shows were an inmate showed the camera crew and a chief guard how they make a toilet paper burner on the edge rim of the toilet bowl for updraft. He then took plastic food wrappers and melted/formed them into a quite spooky and functional shank. Not my intention but certainly more knowledge for the brain files! A coffee can with some breather hole about half way up and a roll of tp soaked in 91% rubbing alcohol makes for a nice heater in an open air deer blind or well ventilated icefishing shack also.

4. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Q-tip and spark

If you pluck at a q-tip just enough to get it fuzzy it will catch the slightest spark and have instant but tiny orange flame. Same with fuzzed up pocket or dryer lint and cotton balls. Now vasiline soaked cotton balls are really good! 3-5 fit in a small pill bottle or film canister. A small fuzz up spot and they light and burn better than anything else I mentioned prior for a decent time enough to light wet wood and probably even with a bit of wind blowing.