Destruction Challenge

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by BoyntonStu, Jan 27, 2014.

1. BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu Member

How many inches or mm of plywood can your rubber powered device penetrate?

Photos and or videos plus description of measured plywood thickness wanted.

2. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

No caliber defined?- have you seen Jörgs Petanque-Cannon?
    He´d pulverize even 57mm of (laminated) OSB-Board..

.. and plywood is not just plywood...

3. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

There could be ammo categories and thus many record holders (maybe). Now we need to find some readily available, consistently dense material ( not ballistic jelly ) to shoot against at prescribed distances with band and tube dimensions. Any fraudulent claims would not be able to be duplicated thus proved bogus.

4. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Bricks or cinderblocks are pretty consistent, a bit dangerous because of ricochets maybe
    Also define penetrate, do you mean that your ammo has to simply make it through the target, or are we trying to make neat little holes that look like they were punched without annihilating the entire target?
    And I think if we're going to make this a contest whoever can get the smallest piece of ammo through the target with the least amount of rubber should be The victor.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  5. BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu Member

Good ideas. Thanks.

The plywood can be described as to the number of layers and thickness.
    The device must be cocked by hand without using a winch, etc.
    Penetrate means to have the projectile tip reach the far side of the plywood.
    Any projectile diameter will qualify.

"And I think if we're going to make this a contest whoever can get the smallest piece of ammo through the target with the least amount of rubber should be The victor. "

That would be the efficiency victor.

The rubber and the projectile weight are nice to know as well as the speed.

6. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Not a contest entry, but I was able to penetrate 1/4" lauan plywood paneling:

got to test some Gopher Slingshots TBG (TBG 11/16" W by 6" L) bands against 1/4" plywood with glass, steel, lead, and hexnuts.

The glass made a small dent with no backface deformation at 10'. Steel punched neat holes with little spalling on the backface. Lead punched larger, rougher holes with significant backface spalling. Hex nuts made a deeper dent than the 1/2" marbles, with significant backface deformation.

I was also getting fork hits with the hex nuts. One hit on the left side of the fork and just made a dent on the fork. Two hit in about the same spot on the right, the second once cracking the frame all the way through and knocking the lucky penny off the front.

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f4/last-weeks-findings-30373/

7. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Stu, don't forget the temperature... here in Germany it is very cold right now, rubber performs badly and I have to use twice as much as in the summer. Or in Florida, likewise :)

I'll shoot a toilet brush with a nine inch nail into some plywood for you next weekend... from my sniper rifle with the 2 meter barrel. That 130 gram thing does 80 m/s, 425 Joules on a warm day. Will be less now, but still fearsome.

It is my most viable weapon that can be cocked without a winch.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh5W0JA-jo0[/ame]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh5W0JA-jo0

8. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Jörg wins, end of contest :D

9. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I totally didn't see that coming ;)

10. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

11. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

"Klobürste!" (toilet brush)

Careful. There are parts of Germany where to shout,
    "Klobürste!" is to empty the streets in seconds and call the police with armed assistance.

12. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Kloburste warrior

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc0G0ku1Z-U&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

13. BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu Member