Design Software?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Withak, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a free or low-cost software that could be used for working up designs? Basic 2D style drawing would be good, particularly if you can do things like add dimension notes. Being able to work something up in isometrics would be a bonus. It would be nice if it allowed free-hand drawing as well as pre-made shapes. It would also be nice if it allowed erasing - something that Visio, as a vector drawing software, doesn't do. If you overshoot a line and just want to touch it up, you have to re-draw the line.

I've done work in Visio, but it hasn't been really friendly in this aspect. I used to work in AutoCAD, but no longer have access and my skill there is dried up like a fork off a dead tree.

Any suggestions folks? I'm looking for something I can run on a PC. No MAC and no iPad (or any pad) available at this time. I've got ideas in my head and would like to put them down on something other than paper.

2. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Hi etrain16,

I have no experience with free softs, but as followed the segment I can suggest to take a look at Inkscape and FreeCAD. If you're a starter with 3D NURBS/Solids I suggest to try Rhinoceros if you can organize an access. Rhino is capable to read multiple formats and you can make your techdraws and dimensions too. It's not free, but affordable. There's a demo version (25 saves limited). Sketchup is fine for drafting, but its models are... ;).

I think in free mode you need to built up a workflow and search combinations of software. Like Inkscape-->Gimp / Sketchup or similar.

Not much help but maybe helps to find a solution :)

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks Brazilviking! - I did see that post earlier, it's actually what spurned my question. But when I searched for Algodoo, I got to the site and it appeared to only be for iPad and MAC. I just checked again and in fact, they do have a version for Windows. I'm going to give it a shot.

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thank you, Tremoside! I'll look in to your suggestions. I have plenty of experience with image editing software, but little experience in CAD or illustrator type programs, so just knowing where to start is difficult. I like to check with folks who've actually used them to get an honest review. Saves a lot of time doing internet searches.

5. Hardtimes

Hardtimes Member

Autodesk 360 is a free browser based CAD program that works very well through chrome. Being able to work on things from multiple computers is a plus.

I'm slowly learning how to use it atm.

6. Cadman

Cadman New Member

I use LIBRECAD to create all of the drawings that Jorg asks for, I now see that it's available in both m$ft and Linux formats. It will import and export DXF files, so it is my "in-between" program for my professional cad work and my hobby cad work. Most people don't use 3d, so I always upload PDF, png, or jpg files.

You may also want to look at Inkscape, it is another popular program.
    Regards,
    Brian

7. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

I downloaded the FreeCAD and checked Autodesk 360. The first seems well documented and supported with multiple languages also. The logic is strange for the first time. But it's only coz of some separated tasks (they call workbench). I found most of the constraints and relations what's needed for an average job. Indicators are working well. Highlights on end points and selections etc.

I'm not really trusting in clouds at the moment. Maybe the SouthPark episode about internet dry out washed my brain :D. However it's interface looks better and regulated well. I think it's focusing on architectural jobs a bit more. Learning materials was not as accessible as for FreeCAD. One good point is they tell it's familiar with AutoCAD.

What Brian suggested is great! Check that too for sure!

8. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

I can only advice that learing a professional CAD program is great. Pick one and just do a few tutorials. They are not that hard to learn. Practice makes perfect.

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks Brian, Hardtimes, EyAlter and Tremoside - all good suggestions. I definitely have some trials to do on the various software. I can say the LIBRECAD looks closest to what I've worked with before. All very exciting since I've not had a piece of software like this for personal use. Thanks!! :D

10. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

You can always try to get a student version or download a professional version "for free".

11. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

I like to use Inkscape, the only problem(like with GIMP) is the amount of tools.