Dayhiker's Modified Flipper

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Ravensbull, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Less the pinky hole in the original pattern. 7/8" thick maple laminate with colonial maple stain and 24 hour BLO soak. Gold's Gym blue bands 1"×11/16"×9" before ties. These bands were also optimized by Dayhiker for 7/16" steel. Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

3. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Nice looking shooter!

4. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Thanks guys! It's very similar in form to the Chalice and shoots very nice with high grip finger hook/thumb brace for me.

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Is this the one you mentioned the other day? Its a good looking slingshot :)

6. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Nice job! Good lookin' shooter.

7. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Yeah this is the one Scoob. The original template by Dayhiker has a pinky hole down low by the heal. I had considered adding it but after shooting it prior to stain/BLO I liked how it was without it. I found that my grip was too high on the forks to properly use the pinky hole. Maybe my fault for not giving the design a full go as originally designed though...

8. inkspot

inkspot New Member

That looks like a very nice shooter, love the chalice design, simple and extremely effective beautiful job

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

10. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Indeed! A perfectly simple shooter!
    A skilled hand did a very precise job!

Lovely! Greetings,
    thanks for sharing!

Be

11. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Finally! A laminate that blends well instead of being ridiculous layers of random color! Great looking form, Bro! Sweet!

-Wild Bill

12. Lineman

Lineman New Member

Looks great! You said maple laminate. Is that what you laminated together or something that was already made that way? Either way, great build. I like the blue bands, they set it apart nicely.

13. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Thanks again guys! @ Lineman, this laminate is a manufactured product for some of the major bow manufacturers used for making risers/grips. The panels I have were given to me by my neighbor who has a friend that works at the factory. These pieces were rejects due to surface imperfections, slight twists or warps. It's a parallel laminate so it's not near as strong as Baltic Birch ply and requires paying attention to grain orientation, making it unsuitable for some designs... The panels I have are 24"×29" rectangular and 1 7/8" thick. I think it's 27 or 28 layers. So everything I've used it for so far requires quite a bit of sawing. Very thankful for my full size table saw!