Dankung 2040 tube length newbie

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Steeve, May 23, 2016.

1. Steeve

Steeve Junior Member

Hi,
    Just would like to ask what tube length I should opt for? The Rambone is offered with 34/39/43" inches.
    My draw from my fist to the corner of my mouth is 30". Its unlikely I will do any drawing past my ear. I have seen I don't want to stretch further than a multiple of 4.5-5 times the band length.
    Just a rough pointer will be fab. I'm aware there is a fair amount of trail and error but this is just to get me off the block.
    Thanks.

2. TheNewSlingshotGuy

TheNewSlingshotGuy AKA- "The Raccoon"

If your draw length is 30 inches, then the bandset for a 34 inch draw is the closest to what you need.

3. Knallfrosch

Knallfrosch Senior Member

Hi Steeve,
    34/39/43 is not inches but centimeters. So the 34cm tubes are approx. 13 inches in length.
    I ordered those with my rambone as well and tested them just yet.
    I shot some paintballs (3,3g) and i was surprised how weak these tubes are.
    I pulled them to almost max and i had to aim ballistic over a distance of 15 meters to hit my target :D
    With single TBG i can shoot dead on target without a drop in the projectile.
    But they are great fun nontheless. If you dont want to pull past your ear, you should go with the shortest tubes.
    Depending on the weight of your ammo and desired shooting distance you may consider the stronger versions.

Edit: A picture of the dankung 34cm tubes at full draw

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  4. Steeve

Steeve Junior Member

Danke,
    That was my typo error.. Its cms.
    I too will be shooting quite light ammo. BBs. So I thought you'd need light weight bands to get speed.
    The supplier can send the Rambone with Dankung in 3 strengths and TBG single and double. Maybe the middle strength Dankung or a single TBG?
    What do think ?

5. Knallfrosch

In my opinion the 2040 are well suited for BB´s. Stronger bands will most likely only give you more handslaps without any benefit in speed.

6. Steeve

Steeve Junior Member

Thanks. OK well I'll order my White Rambone with the 2040 for now and see how I progress. Thanks again ..
    Schön abend noch.

7. TheNewSlingshotGuy

I'm assuming your'e talking about .177 BB's or Airsoft BBs? The bandset that will come with your Rambone will be a looped 2040 set, which is WAY too strong for BBs. Even single strand is too powerful for BBs. If you want bands to shoot very lightweight ammo, you should learn to make your own.

8. Steeve

Steeve Junior Member

Hi, no I'm meaning the 6mm airsoft. Thanks for your comments. I'll bear it in mind. Simple shot do supply single strand for BBs. If the 2040 dont work I'll try theirs.

9. Knallfrosch

I believe you are a slightly exxagerating :). I used to shoot BB´s with TBG
    bandsets that are more powerful than the dankungs loops and it worked
    just fine. The only problem is, that the hammergrip design is more prone to
    give you handslaps with lightweight ammo than other frame designs.

I just tested the dankung tubes with 0.28g plastic BB´s and regarding
    power the dankungs are just fine for the job. They do give you handslaps
    (yes, that means that they are too powerful... i know;)) but it makes you
    learn the flipstyle faster to avoid them.:D

10. Steeve

Steeve Junior Member

"Flipstyle".. OK.. Noted. I look that up.
    I've spotted 0.36g bio 6mm BBs that are a little heavier. Also I'm going to make my own 6mm clay balls. Anything that will deteriorate over time. I've just ordered the Rambone. Can't wait.

11. Jeb

Jeb Baba Hunter

I shoot 10mil clay balls and really like them. I was shooting at my friend's place, on an island made entirely of rock, a couple of weeks ago. Last year we shot glass marbles and had to really watch out for ricochets. Had to choose our target locations very carefully. This year we used clay and could set cans up on the rocks anywhere we liked. Missed shots just exploded against the stone. Loads of fun. Really a big fan of clay ammo.

12. RickOchet

RickOchet Member

Hmmmm....
    Clay ammo you say....
    (Cogs start turning, grey matter starts stuttering into life!!)
    Google will be busy for the next 30 minutes!!

13. Steeve

Steeve Junior Member

Yep clay ammo .. The ancients Greeks used it to hunt and fight. Smashes on impact so no unpredictable ricocheting. It rinses away in the rain.. Doesn't leave splinters or shards. Doesn't slowly rust away. Quite environmentally friendly considering you use plain stone clay without polymers.

14. RickOchet

RickOchet Member

Is standard air drying clay, like the modelling type, any good?

15. TheNewSlingshotGuy

I would think so, but wouldn't you have to make them alll yourself? I think Jeb buys them by the thousands.

16. Steeve

Steeve Junior Member

Yep, standard air dry is fine. Its quite fun making them yourself.

17. Steeve

Steeve Junior Member

I just received the Rambone white with 34" 2040 tubes. Its a gorgeous catapult. Looks and feels very primal with the steady hammer grip. The handle is very well made.
    I dry fired it once without ammo and no handslaps. I'll try some light ammo tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

18. TheNewSlingshotGuy

Besides the increased potential for handslap, using BB's with relatively heavy bandsets will put excess wear on the pouch and rubber, and may fail sooner. Still, it's great you like the Rambone! Have fun!

19. RickOchet

RickOchet Member

I have some boilie (carp fishing bait!!) making tables in various sizes and was wondering if I might be able to use them!
    You basically roll a sausage of material across the bottom table, put the top table on a roll back and forth! Hey presto round boilies (or in this case round clay ammo!)

Here's a vid on YouTube (not mine!!)
    https://youtu.be/nvQdPKmduPw

20. Steeve

Steeve Junior Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure how it will wear faster but I will bear it in mind.
    The 2040 tubes are flinging the light ammo like lightning. Apparently according to a very good source, the new 2040 tubes are lighter but with the same amount of zap. Even better in my situation.