Dangerous Toy: Spike Slinger

Discussion in 'Crazy contraptions' started by MountainStorm, Oct 4, 2013.

1. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

Not a weapon really, just a crazy contraption.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU1x82orX0g[/ame]

2. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Totall madness :) I like it

J

3. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

So this uses a rubber torsion arrangement... good thinking! Love it

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Fun idea. I'm still having a hard time picturing exactly how the spike is launched though. Do you have a video that shows the operation of the device, say from the side? Does the spike go inside the tube and just get flung out as you shoot it? Looks like a fun toy to have around.

5. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Appears to work much like a clay pigeon thrower does. When he releases the trigger the rubber pulls the arm around 180 degree's flinging the spike out the end of the pipe near the end.

Nice thing about this is that it is scalable, longer arm, more rubber = more speed and energy. With a longer barrel for round balls I suspect it could be quite accurate.

Nice little machine. :)

6. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

pure madness....

ill say,... scale it up :cool:

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I kind of suspected that by looking at the design itself. I'd still love to see a side-on video of it firing though. I'm surprised that the bolt is as accurate as it is using this mechanism.

8. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

I don't Know what's more dangerous the contraption or the hat. I love them both.

9. petezel

petezel New Member

Hey there MountainStorm - nice contraption
    How much does it kick back when you fire? as the weight being moved is away from the pivot (it has to be, else you'd get no centripetal force on the projectile) does it push down on the back end? I'm sure you've guessed that if you use a smooth steel rod instead of threaded you should reduce friction. I like it a lot because it is a close model of how a bo shuriken can be thrown :)

Regards,
    Pete