Cuts

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by codido187, Feb 1, 2014.

1. codido187

codido187 New Member

So I cut out my chalice blue print and it looks great in the front ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1391279910.684726.jpg

But the back is messed up how would I fix this problem ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1391279946.505936.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Slingshot Forum

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

One thing about slingshots that I've already learned - be flexible. If the shape you cut out doesn't come out right (I've done that myself when I didn't have my blade at the right angle to the wood), then get at it with a rasp and file and start shaping until you get a usable form. To me, all I see is a rough slingshot with plenty of potential. I'd just keep going and see how it turns out.

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Just looks like you have shaped it at an angle across the depth. Even it up to 90 degrees to the front and it should even up....I think!

4. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you withak I'm so green to this and this is wood from out of state so I want it to right?? And how would I even it out with a rasp at 90 degrees??

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Codido, there's no real right or wrong here unless you go too far and make the fork too narrow to use. If it were me, I'd take my rasp to that back side and start shaping/rounding it. The way I do it, I would rasp some, take a look, see what I think, move the fork, rasp some more. Basically, just keep moving around the fork. Do a little at a time so you don't go too far. Adjust your rasping/filing in little bits until you get the shape you want. It's something you kind of feel your way through.

6. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thanks withak and scoobs you guys have both never turned me down. And see I get freaked out when it doesn't turn out I don't want to loose a good piece of wood lol

7. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

One of the things that you learn from making Shooters (among many) is that sometimes wood has Ideas of its own. When that happens, you just have to follow it to see where it is going. The results are usually pretty good.

8. codido187

codido187 New Member

I had a design but I'm going to let the wood make a design

9. codido187

codido187 New Member

ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1391283340.526921.jpg
    See it's about 1 1/2 maybe should I cut it down to just over 3/4 of an inch

10. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

You may want to forgo cutting and just start rasping. You have a lot of thickness but that's a good thing. You right now have enough material to play with the palm swell as well as the overall comfort/ergonomics of it. They only way it'll turn out bad is if you take off too much or try too many short cuts early in your SS making career.

-Wild Bill

11. codido187

codido187 New Member

So now my question is rasping how thick should the average ss be?? And another question how do I make it so the forks are symmetrical the left fork on the back is almost way different then the on the front?? What would remedy this I know I'm asking stupid questions but I'm eager to learn

12. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

It should be exactly thick enough to be comfortable for you to hold and shoot with- no more and no less. As far as symmetry goes, I do it with the rasps by eyeball comparison. Just go slow and you should be fine.

-Wild Bill

13. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you sir for your advice I know you all are craftsmen.

14. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Drawing a center line first helps me see symmetry much better. Your eye can measure the distance from line to edge very quickly and intuitively.

That looks like ponderosa pine in the picture. I bet it smells lovely. Make sure to test every fork before you use it. Especially trees with needles, because they split easier along the grain than ones with leaves.

After the wood is completely dry the bark falls off naturally. You want to either remove it or seal it in airtight with finish to stick it on.

I like to trace a second paper template sometimes from my asymmetrical mess. Then fold the template in half cutting off the missing bits from both halves. Like the greatest common denominator. This gets me back to symmetry, then I formed it into a rounder shape.

Looks great so far!

15. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I really like Mike's idea of a paper template, I think that is very smart!
    I think this is looking great so far! I would recommend just being very patient and rasp away until it looks good to you. Im excited to see the final result!

16. codido187

codido187 New Member

Good idea I'll retrace my blue print!!

17. codido187

codido187 New Member

ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1391291162.652091.jpg ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1391291188.127736.jpg
    I started to round out the handle and it's coming out nice the handle is but my forks still not cooperating with I'm thinking of rounding the forks off so they can be symmetrical

18. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you will I like mike ideas as well I'm going to print the template again and re draw it on and shape it with my handy rasp when I cut I cut to much on the left but the wood is so thick that I may be able to save it any ideas

19. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hey Codido,

how could anybody turn you down? If you appreciate my meaning,
    I´d like to say that you are doing it just right; and asking questions
    is a lot more efficient than going through all phases of trial and error..

But in the end it´s about doing, and concerning that I´d like to say
    that what can be seen on those pics (the one person that gets to lay
    his hands on it and knows what it feels like is you; and you seem to
    be perfectly able to listen to the wisdom of your hands!...) already
    makes it clear to see that this will be a shooter to keep and take
    pride in!

The only thing I really do not like about this is that I´ll have to wait
    to see it finished :) ! But if that pains you too and makes you want
    to (enjoy to) get it done quickly then please let me say one last thing:
    You are lost (on the right track!) - bugged to the bone!

Welcome aboard!
    Nice to see what you share with us!

kind regards,

Be (hopefully you WILL share the result :) )

20. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things