Cracking wood

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by noah013, Jan 15, 2014.

1. noah013

noah013 Member

Hi,

I've found a nice and big fork saturday. I decided to let it dry naturally. Monday I looked at it and noticed some big cracks. Luckily I sawed of some extra wood and I began to make the sling. After microwaving it and shaping it I was pretty happy with the result. But there was a little crack on the handle. I have done 2 microwave sessions of 1 minute eachs. But the little crack on the handle starts to get bigger and bigger and now it is a big crack already. What shoul I do?

Greetings, Noah013

2. noah013

noah013 Member

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

It is best to finish all drying before carving to try and stop this, not much help now but in the future its good advice I received and try to stick to. Dont always manage it though :)

Best thing to do now would be to mix some sawdust and epoxy and fill the crack with that, it doesnt look too bad but do a strength test before shooting it anyway.

Nice looking slingshot you have there, definitely worth saving!

Good luck! :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  4. noah013

noah013 Member

Maybe sand the crack completely out?

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

If its not too deep and you dont mind changing the shape thats always an option.

6. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Looks like the crack won't do any structural damage so that's good. You could try to sand it out, but filling it with sawdust and glue will probably work better

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

7. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Fill it as mentioned above.
    Or you can cut it out and glue a diferenent kind of wood as palm swell.
    Don't cut the handle shorter but cut it (or sand it) at an angle, I think it will look good.

8. noah013

noah013 Member

Thanks a lot,

First I tried the woodglue and saw dust thing, but I wasn't happy with the finish so I sanded it out. It was a pretty deep crack, after like 25 minutes of sanding I took my dremel and things where going a lot faster. I'm not finished yet, cause I have to do homework :(

Greetings, Noah013

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

After I experienced a catastrophic crack in one of my slingshots, some folks here recommended 'pinning' it to repair it. I drilled several holes in the side of the slingshot and epoxy'd in some nails that I had roughed up with a hack saw to give them some extra surface for the epoxy to adhere to. It worked great and while I haven't yet finished the slingshot, it feels more solid than ever. I'd recommend giving that a try if you're not opposed to the idea. I would put maybe 2 pins in the area of the crack and one above it to prevent it from spreading and reaching the fork. As for he crack itself, it's just some added character that makes the slingshot unique. If you do a good job on the drilling and pinning, you'll also be adding some nice little enhancements to the handle.

10. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

What about tightly binding/wrapping over the part of the handle covered by the crack and about 1 cm above and below it?