Cracked fork. What did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by rock slinger, Nov 13, 2013.

1. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I shave the bark and cut a little off, but four days later there are massive cracks. All I did was leav itin my room.

Attached Files:

2. rock slinger

Attached Files:

3. LW

LW New Member

Do not drive with your car over it. Just kidding...:p
    You need to tell us something more.

When drying...?

4. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Those cracks are consistent with wet wood that dried too fast.

-Wild Bill

5. LW

LW New Member

Sorry, I was a little too fast, the pictures came later...:(

6. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

oracle

I would bet money on this:

-You and your mum like to have a warm house

-your room is warm, too!

-The relative humidity inside your home is approx. 40%

-I believe you left this fork on the heating-device/ radiator/ heated floor

- that wood was alive just a few days ago?

approximately four of the above are right?

Please tell me!- This is all about (relative) humidity

Greetings,

Be

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  7. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

you left a fresh piece of wood without the bark to dry, that's what you did wrong...

now how to prevent it... or how I prevent it...

if i harvest green wood, and i don't start work with it i leave the bark on and dip the ends in molted candle wax
    so the wood drys slowly and doesn't crack so fast

if i use it the same day i have harvest it then i start carving and when im done for that day i boil it in very salt water for a view hours
    this kills all bacteria and fungi in the wood, pulls out tannin in the wood, and prevents or at least reduces cracking

it also helps to dry it and keep it in between working sessions in a paper bag

i also heard of micro waving, but have no experience with that method, maybe some one else can tell you that

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  8. LW

LW New Member

If I may allow myself some advice.

1. Saw off the ends not too short, leave at least 20 cm, if possible.
    2. Seal the ends with hot wax
    3. If you dry in the house, put the fork in a plastic bag, make a knot in, then it does not dry too fast
    5. Open the bag after a few weeks and put it in a carton
    4. And now, forget the fork for two or three month

I am sure this will bring you better results.

9. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

I didn´t do microwaving either- we don´t own such machine..

BUT: steam of H2O-molecules likes to have 3500% of the volume the liquid
    needs..

I suppose there´s nasty micro-nano-damagedingdong taking place inside
    of such wood...

But that´s just a rather emotional approach towards that topic..

Be

10. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Interesting that you would mention steaming. I have used that technique in furniture building in the past- but only for the purpose of 'bending' the wood. I have never steamed wet wood- only that which was either naturally or kiln dried. When steaming wood, a 'form' was always used in order to move the grain of the wood into the 'natural' shape I desired. However, the scraps- the cut-off portions, always ended up cracked, misshapen and brittle- so it's probably not the best method for slingies.

-Wild Bill

11. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

for my honeysuckle walking staffs i did some steaming to, to bent it straight, but there are significant weaker
    the cant take much impact force so i would guess the forks will be weaker to and more likely to break

12. rock slinger

Well I did shave the bark off off a live fork and I did not seal. My dad told me to seal it, but I thought it would be fine as I have done smaller forks without it. So next time I will leave the bark on and seal the ends with wax. It is a shame to let this fork go. Thanks all for the help.

13. dolomite

dolomite Banned

+many to LW for the forget it for a while. The best way is seal it then forget it for months, loose it if you have to, one day you'll wonder about that fork-think about Kate Upton till you forget the fork again. After another forgetting session, its cool to remember again and start work. Also leave tips and handle long while drying.

14. rock slinger

I don't have to think about Kate she is always in my mind.

15. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Hell, you're half way there then;).

16. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

If you like to work it just cut and dripping fresh, you can try packing it in a sealed plastic bag with its own wet shavings. Then let the whole bag dry out together for months. There is probably a trick to prevent fungus, idk.

Lathe turners have good success with this on green aspen wood, sometimes even on vessels with very thin walls.

17. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

If I want to start working on a piece of wood quickly, I will saw it into rough shape while it is fresh. Not too close of course, but the less bulk it has, the less volume for tension.

But it is best to keep it in the basement for a year or so, where humidity isn't so low.

18. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

In the summer, I like to keep my forks in the garage, having them lay around for at least a year.

I had my best results with forks that I harvested years ago:D

19. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

I just leave cca 10cm on each end when sawing it off then leave to dry out in the room... if it cracks it usually doesnt reach the places i wanna leave to make the frame​