Corkscrew Yew 2

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Ravensbull, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Here is another small yew fork from trimming what I could get away with last spring. I love this wood but I really want the chunkies at the base of the mother...:D Anyways here is this one. Interested to see if anyone sees what I see peeking out in one picture. Look close..! Hope you guys enjoy this one! Also,can anyone tell me how to keep pics from turning sideways when I post?

Attached Files:

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I see a beautifully grained piece of work peeking out. Great character and the carving is exquisite! - though the middle picture does look like a small snake...

-Wild Bill

3. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Better to see what I think I see correctly if they were fork up.

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Wow!! Excellent work sir! That spiral creates an awesome effect with that wood grain! Great job!

5. Can-Opener

Can-Opener New Member

That one catches the eye. Very nice!

6. LloydLupfer

LloydLupfer Is Awesome!!!!

Nice job! The grain looks cool. Well carved and I love the name lol:D

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Very nice shape, the second pic looks like my python when he is being fed :)

8. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

I see a smiley from 3 eyeholes :•

Nice sling, would love to hold it and see how it feels.

9. LW

LW New Member

Actually I don’t like spiral handles on a slingshot, but with this small dimensions (3. Pic) and that lovely yew wood it came out very nice.

10. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's a really beautiful piece of work. I like that a lot. As for what you are seeing in the wood, it's not obvious to me.

12. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

love yew wood

nice work

13. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Thank you guys so much for great comments! I love this wood tremendously... Short supply for me too without killing it, as the very best of chunkers are ground level...

As far as the thing I mentioned earlier looks like a little creature face similar to the great painting and imagination of the artist "Brian Freud." I really didn't want to bring this into it but the book is titled, "Good Faeries Bad Faeries." (Got a feeling I'll burn for that :eek:) Actually my book and beautiful work he does, worth a peek for all but some show topless lady creatures so watch the young viewers.

So in spite of seeing much of his work, my immagination gets "frothy" at times. Or that's just the beer :D!

14. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

The face I see is like a little pink faced and wavy grey haired woodspirit guy in the middle picture about midway on the handle. Looking at the piece in my hand I cannot see it. It only showed in the picture. With forks facing up, it looks like he's grinning and winking facing to the left.

15. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Grip pic

The twisty handle works very well on these size forks imho. As long as you test and plan your grip before and during the shaping. It really locks your hand to the frame. The heal kick was the natural curve but also locks well into the base fold of my hand. With finger wrap/thumb brace grip I get 1" of exposed fork, plenty for BBs and 1/4" steel

16. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

stunning Ravensbull ! :eek: I love it ! ... the spiral handle is awesome, I see no problems to shoot with, figuring how it feels lol !
    Cheers
    Arturo