Corian and Homemade G10

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by CaptainBacon, Nov 10, 2013.

1. CaptainBacon

CaptainBacon Knowledgeable Man

Been a while since I posted any of my builds, but rest assured, I'm still avidly building and plinking.

Recently, I got a bug to experiment with homemade g10 laminate. All it takes is some paper and fiberglass resin. It's hilariously easy to make a material that is both strong and beautiful.

Here is a frame made from 1/2" corian and some 1/4" homemade green and black g10. The corian is plenty strong for the target bands I have on, and has a stone-like appearance. I used that in the design, and carved up the g10 in a manner reminiscent of a flint knife. Since I like pinning things with aluminum, that's what I did. However smooth sanding was not an option, so I opted for a rough hammered finish on the pins. 20131110_151654.jpg
    Here is the front.
    20131110_151631.jpg
    Here is the back.
    20131110_151641.jpg

This frame is comfortable whether shooting hammer or finger-thumb, so I feel like I've got myself a winner here. I believe it could also be banded up for TTF shooting, but I'll mess with that after the current bands die.

I decided to take these photos from a polar bear's backside.

Another note, I had made enough G10 for two builds, but haven't finished the other yet, so stay tuned for another one soon.

2. Mister Magpie

Mister Magpie New Member

Hey CapnBacn

That is nice! Was the Corian easy or hard to work with?

Darren

3. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

looks nice I like the colors very much. Gotta google g10 and corian tho... xD

ps: show us your polar bear!

4. CaptainBacon

The corian is extremely easy to work with. It's a plastic, so it shows scratches easily. I cut the shape on my bandsaw, and used my dremel to do the rest.

5. CaptainBacon

John, by polar bear, I meant a scrap of white fur fabric I used for an old guitar case mod.

Corian is a plastic material made by Dupont. It's acrylic based with an aluminum variant in it I think. It's used for countertops and vanities.

G10 is a general term for layered paper/fabric that is soaked with fiberglass resin and then put under pressure. I basically just painted the smelly stuff on a stack of paper and told it that it had better do well in school to become a doctor or lawyer.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

7. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Can you make the G10 into a bacon pattern? I'm sure many would 'squeal' with delight over such a creation.

-Wild Bill

8. CaptainBacon

Bill, I believe it could be done. I would use red, light brown, and darker red/browns and layer them up. I could do that and make a bacon stick shot.

This can also be made with printed fabric too, so if there's a bacon fabric, it could be even easier.

Thanks, Jeremy!

9. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

roflmao :D Thx for the info!

10. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This is a real knockout!! I would never have thought about using corian for a slingshot! And that g10...you couldn't have chosen better colors, that just looks awesome! Great job,you've got me thinking about making some g10 material now!

11. CaptainBacon

Thanks, Will! G10 is very easy to make, just takes time to layer it up when you have to slather the resin on after putting on the next sheet.

12. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Well, what are you waiting for?!?!?!?

-Wild Bill

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Wow, great work! I love the look of the G10. I really want to try making some of that material myself. Just an overall great piece of work you've got there. The AL pins are a nice touch.

Just curious - what resin do you use when you make your G10? The only thing that's really holding me back from trying it at this point is the cost of the epoxy's I've found in the quantities of more than a small tube.

14. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

15. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Very nice! Ive seen corian used for harmonica combs but never thought of using it for a slingshot. Would normal, cheap automotive fibreglass resin work for making G10 do you think?

16. CaptainBacon

I used the cheap "Bondo FIberglass repair resin" you can find at your local big box hardware store. Epoxy would be awesome, but it's about three times as expensive. The fiberglass cures overnight (epoxy is 24 hours) and thats what most folks use anyways.

Many thanks, guys.

17. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J