Convert a Barnett Diablo into a slingbow

Discussion in 'Slingbows' started by OzzyOsborne, Dec 15, 2013.

1. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member

So easy - doesn't deserve any credit for 'building'

It's just a quick, easy way to pimp a Barnett SS!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohsJ0YUqTvw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohsJ0YUqTvw[/ame]

2. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member

Check out the arms on this old boy! top man!

Attached Files:

3. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Cool vid Ozzy, I'd not thought of screwing a whisker biscuit straight to the front of my knock off diablo. that'll save me heaps of time

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very cool mod.

I have one of Chief AJ's slingbows. I am very impressed with the quality.

5. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member

- I thought of that, but I didn't think the bands & pouch slamming into the biscuit would do it any good! by having the biscuit further forwards, this should reduce this risk

- I've shortened the bands anyway to reduce the draw length - images to follow!

6. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member

I soon realised that draw length is compromised by arrow length. Rather than have HUGE arrows, I cut down the bands! Also, with some of the tubing I 'sleeved' the ends of the arrows to assist gripping in the pouch. I also used some cycle inner tube 'bands' to further 'Black-Ops' the grip - this also aids 'grip'

I plan to remove the pouch and fit a knocking draw string so I can use a release aid with conventional arrows with knocks....

to be continued!

Attached Files:

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I did something very similar a while back to my Pro Diablo using a homemade whisker biscuit (cut down alloy wheel brush in a rifle scope lens cover) Found that the bands kept hitting the biscuit and knocking it around so just not bothered using it. May cut the bands down and see how that goes actually. Less power but maybe that wouldn't be an issue?

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

If you're concerned the biscuit is too close and the bands/pouch might damage it, you could certainly move it forward a bit. Here is a photo of a Diablo converted to a starship - you could do something similar and get your arrow rest a bit further out - maybe not as far as the starship, but you get the idea (thanks to Flipgun for noting this in another thread):

[​IMG]

9. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Yeah, I did think of something like that. With the Pro Diablo there are two long stabilisers that stick out the front. My homemade biscuit wouldnt work but a commercial one mounted to one of them may work.

10. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member

I decided I didn't want a permanent release aid in place of or indeed attached 'to' the pouch, as I'd want the SS to shoot arrows as well as other types of ammo easily

Here's my paracord 'release aid' - it helps with holding the bands for longer periods, as you can use two middle fingers as well as the two 'pouch pinch' fingers to hold the draw longer - a 4 finger hold

It works well! I'll do a shooting video later!

Attached Files:

11. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member

Here's me shooting the slingbow!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll_AddmvmSg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll_AddmvmSg[/ame]

12. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I like simple and this is good. Like the others, I was concerned about impact of the pouch/bands on the rigid biscuit. Maybe if instead of 2 screws. You use a small eye bolt that will allow the bottom reinforcement to rotate forward. Pull the band off of the arm rest, loop a band over the forks and around the frame and back to the arm guard, replace the strap and the band would allow the biscuit to give a bit with the impact and return to place.
    Just a thought.

13. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member

I'm intrigued! can you sketch something to help explain?

14. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Something like this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I scrapped the idea of using the arm rest and just went around the fork. I added a little rod on the front to stop the band from sliding off of the bottom.

Probably rubbish, but all I have at the moment.

15. DM099

DM099 New Member

Howdy folks,
    I have one of the Barnett Cobras, and have done a very similar setup. There's one thing I did, that hasn't been mentioned yet. I use 30" arrows, and with the biscuit at the very front of the Cobra, I can't completely draw to my normal anchor point. Since I no longer use a pouch, and have setup a bow string between the bands, I use a extra long "D" loop to pull the sling. Now I can pull to my normal anchor point and my pull hand isn't waving around in the air creating a variable. If you keep your pouch, do it just like Ozzy showed in post 10 of this thread, but play with the length of cord until you get it to just the right length to do a full and complete pull to your normal anchor point. Pulling to that anchor point will increase accuracy as we all know.

16. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 Member

What I need to figure out is how to make my whisker biscuit fold down so as to be able to fire bearings too in the event shtf and I run out of arrows lol.

17. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member

I'm working on just such an idea - a flip down or rotate whisker out of the way etc...