CONTEST - Official "Dollar" Store Slingshot Building Contest 2014

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Withak, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

***CONTEST*** ‘Dollar Store’ Slingshot Build!

Okay folks, it’s time for the contest to begin. My name is Withak and I’ll be your host for this contest. Your mission is to build a slingshot (frame/forks) using ONLY items you can purchase from your local dollar store. You can use one item or 20 items, it’s up to you as I’m not putting a spending limit on this contest. Once you’re completed your build, post photos to this thread. Once we reach the contest closing date, I will open a new thread to allow everyone to vote on the winner.

The point of the contest is to see how creative and innovative folks can be with limited material options. We’ve already seen some great creations on the forum, let’s see if we can do even better!

This contest is open to any current member of the forum that wishes to participate. The contest is based around purchasing all materials necessary at a ‘dollar’ store. Here in the US, they are fairly common in most urban areas. They can also be found around the world carrying similar products at a price point that is similar to the ‘dollar’ stores in the US. With that said, I am happy to be flexible with those that don’t have a local ‘dollar’ store or equivalent, or those who live in an area where the local economy drives a ‘dollar’ store to a $2 store, for example. The point of the contest is to use very limited resources from a place like a ‘dollar’ store to come up with a creative slingshot build. As long as you are keeping with the ‘spirit’ of the contest. I’ll be taking your word for it.

The contest begins today, March 8th and runs through 8pm Pacific Time (U.S.) on Sunday, March 23rd. Entries will not be accepted after that time. The 'voting' thread will be posted within 48 hours of the closing time.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post them on this thread or PM me.

And now, the rules:

1. This contest is open to all current forum members. Those under 18 years of age must have a parent’s permission to participate and, if selected the winner, must provide permission by their parents to have the prize shipped to their home. The winner must be able to legally own/receive the prize they select (see below).

2. You must build a functional slingshot – frame/fork – using only materials you purchase from your local ‘dollar’ store (see above for exceptions). There is no restriction on style as long as you build a functional slingshot.

3. Finishes, if any are applied, must also be from the ‘dollar’ store – this includes paints, stains, CA, cord wraps, etc. Updated: Regarding adhesives, since items like decent epoxy resin, etc. will not be available in a dollar store, I will allow for adhesives you did not purchase in a dollar store.

4. There is no limit on the number of items you can purchase to build your slingshot, as long as they all come from the ‘dollar’ store.

5. Bands, tubes and pouches are not required to be purchased from the ‘dollar’ store, but feel free to use materials there if you can find them.

6. Once your build is complete, you must post your entry on this thread in order to enter the contest. Your entry post must include items a,b and c or you will be disqualified:
    a. At least 2 photos: one showing the raw materials/items before you start the build and the second photo showing the finished slingshot. You may include more photos, but these two photos are required for entry.
    b. The name of the store you purchased your items from (just for confirmation)
    c. Approximate amount of time you spent on the build.
    d. Optional - post how much you spent on your build
    e. Optional – post any ammo you find there as well!

7. You may enter more than once, but all entries must conform to the rules and must be individually posted and meet the requirements of Rule #6.

8. One winner will be selected by a vote of the forum members in a thread that I will put up after the contest closes. In the event of a tie, I will determine the winner by random drawing of those tied for first place.

UPDATE: Regarding tools, you may use any tools you already own or wish to purchase for this project. The requirement for materials from the dollar store is with respect to the slingshot itself. Use what tools you have available.

Now for the prize: First, you will gain the respect of an international slingshot loving audience, crowned “King (or Queen) of Dollar Store Slingshots”. Second, I want to thin my collection of slingshots just a bit, so I have 2 different prizes available – the winner may choose one. I will cover shipping to the winner’s address. It is the winner’s responsibility to confirm the legality of their selected prize in their country/state/city. I am providing a non-wrist braced option for those that cannot legally own a wrist-braced slingshot. These are ‘used’, but both are in very good condition. They will be sent with a band set. For those under 18, I will require some form of approval from a parent prior to shipping, if you cannot provide this, the prize will be awarded to the person in 2nd place. Sorry, I can’t be responsible for any local postal services ‘losing’ their prize, so hopefully that won’t happen.

The winner may choose one of the following:

1. “Pathfinder” Slingbow - a Marksman Slingshot with removable arrow rest, 2 sets of high power tubes and fishing attachment – sorry, arrows not included – value $35USD This is the kit sold by the Pathfinder store, where I purchased it.

2. Gamekeeper John ‘Special Run’ Laminate – value $40USD

Good luck and get building!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

This is just genius sir! Huge amount of creativity in thinking of this contest!
    In my random travels today, I shall try and locate a dollar store

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I'm sure you can find some Dollar Tree stores out near that job site of yours - they're all over the place around here.

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Yes indeed! I'm excited about this contest.

5. Gniaffron

Gniaffron Junior Member

Looking forward Monday and the opening of the store!

6. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

This is a really cool idea for a contest!

I did have one question, but it was answered in rule #5.

This is just a joke, but I almost wish I was back in Philly, because of the abundance of different dollar stores. Did I just say that?

7. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Since I live in Omaha, I think I'll buy the stuff at the dollar store that is around the corner from Warren Buffet's house. I hear he shops there, too. Maybe I'll meet him and get him hooked on slingshots.

-Wild Bill

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

E you can box up the gamekeeper John slingy and put my address on that bad boy!

9. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Err... rule number one will be a problem... slingshots aren't legal here...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

10. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Looking forward to this, I had two ideas so glad multiple entries area allowed. Not sure Ill have time for both but the ideas are there :) The hardest part of this competition is deciding which prize I want ;)

11. sonnyboy204

sonnyboy204 Target Misser

Is the entry simply a slightly modified item being used as a slingshot? I ask because you can create a million things from laminated materials, my Dollar store sells epoxy and wood glue, was thinking about trying that out. but if Im only allowed to slightly change an object that limits those possibilities...

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's a bummer Onnod. Unfortunately when we open this to anyone, we're bound to run in to rules in different areas that won't allow folks to participate. I personally think a law like that is ridiculous, but nonetheless I won't encourage you to break the law. Perhaps another time my friend.

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

No, but if that's what someone wants to enter, that's fine. If someone can find a way to build a sweet Rambone using only dollar store items, then I say go for it!

14. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Oh, and by the way - since this is my contest, may I just say that there is no restriction on 'trash talking' your opponents - as long as no one breaks Joerg's "one rule" :)

15. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Wrist braced slingBOWS are not illegal here...

16. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Let me tell you what, brother(voice of Hulk Hogan)! Anyone who thinks they can top me at summer slam better pack a lunch. I'm not about to let all the little Dolomaniacs down, this will be easier than a battle royale with cheese...what the hell did that guy say?

17. uberfreak9

uberfreak9 Lord Of Crows

I, however, will encourage you to break this law and any other you think is beyond ridiculous (like jaywalking when there are no cars coming), just be smart about it and dont get caught since the only time you will get caught with a slingshot is if you bust something or make a disturbance. I have actually taken some risks shooting slingshots were I shouldn't be but I made sure no one was around.

18. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Do not underestimate the hidden power of brazilian 1,99 stores, bro!
    the prize is mine, all mine!

19. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 Member

Lol went to dollar tree today and found at least 7 possibilities. Gotta cash in some cans and buy some stuff Monday lol

20. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

This is an exciting contest. We have the perfect group here for it too.
    See you all at the voting!