Complications... Pics +++

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Ryan Wigglesworth, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

Made this slingshot up, took me a while.

i was going for a howitzer that i could shoot ttf, along the way i decided i wanted to be able to shoot ttf or over the top and left the top as it was.

turned out good when all is said in done.

The wood is african mahogany and the core is the same aluminum that i used for the last one, which i recently remembered i didnt receive from my scapper neighbour, i actually found this on the side of the road one day riding my bike home from work. ( he gave me a different piece but it is used as a bench for a bench press )

so with this slingshot i started the same as the last one pretty much, but as i was sanding the aluminum a problem occurred , the wood was so light colored that the water after each sanding round was not wiping it off and it seemed to be getting into the grain.

so i decided to try something different and heated the thing up in the stove, it caused a few problems such as bubbling and such on the finish, as i had already applied the CA... and separated it with a flat razor blade between 2 vice grips when it was still hot.

separated it up and then polished the aluminium separately. although this went very smoothly and was awesome, after adhering the piece back together i noticed it gave a different sort of look as the edges of the ally were not flat and flush with the scales, it was sorta rounded. which made it look thinner that the previous howitzer.

while sanding and re finishing the scales i managed to drop and break one.

eventually got it all together in a way that isnt quite perfect and i will take it apart again and figure that out when the time comes.

it is fine and shoots well but i am wanting that extra bit of satisfaction.

I learned a lot once again. and the next will be better. already getting started actually...

more pics to come. hope you learn something from my mistakes, and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  2. Ryan Wigglesworth

my band saw isnt good enough to split a board, or cut in a straight line even, so i had to use the chisel as i do not have a saw lol

Attached Files:

3. Ryan Wigglesworth

Attached Files:

4. Ryan Wigglesworth

after this i will take some pics of the finished slingy. rainy day here tho. i want some natural light

Attached Files:

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

6. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Good end result. I, occasionally, have a piece that, "Just don't wanna!" I have a shelf full. one day they will change their mind and behave. Glad you fought that one through and showed us.

7. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Great final result, really like this! I had to laugh a bit at your story. It is something that would happen to me!

8. Otees

Otees Another Member

9. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Nice slingy!
    And even nicer posts!

Thanks for that!

Greetings to beloved Canada!

Be

10. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

It nice to see how to go around problems and difficulties. Those cracked slingshot pics make my spine chill...

11. Ryan Wigglesworth

yeah... when it happens it is a small downer, but alhamdulilah for glue lol.

your welcome :) i was doing a build log in the hopes i could showcase how to make it perfectly and give you all something to look at... anyways its still not bad, it certainly works well :]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  12. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

A wise trim carpenter once told me : There's no perfect work, only perfectly hidden mistakes.

I love how you kept it all together in spite of the challenges.
    It ended up very nice.

13. Ryan Wigglesworth

double thumbs up! very nice wisdom!

14. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

looks very pretty, nice to see all the steps

15. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

That's what slingshot building is all about.:D

16. LW

LW New Member

Thank you for this post.

I am sure this helps a lot. And most important, nobody and I mean really nobody is perfect, and from reading the comments I realize, that this or similar things happen to some of us. Same to me, I destroyed a beautiful slingshot because I used a chisel on a very hard wood and it simply broke in two parts. No chance to fix it.

I destroyed a nice lamination (aluminum core) because I worked too hard on a grinder, heated up the aluminum (over 100 degree Celsius) and the 2K epoxy lost its resistance and the scales simply fall apart. I could fix this one, but it was a lot of extra work.

But never less your slingshot looks really nice on some of your photos…

Keep it up, do not let it get you down.

17. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Breathtaking. Mr Ryan

J

18. Drew_Bilbrey

Drew_Bilbrey Drew Bilbrey

Beautiful slingshot! I know how it is to build without all the right tools. Sure can be a challenge.

19. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

It looks very nice. I like the howitzer style and you've done a very nice job putting this one together. Yes, it is very frustrating to have a failure in your material. I like what Mike had to say about it. It looks like a great slingshot.