Completed DIY slingshot kit

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by dolomite, Jan 1, 2014.

1. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I did a build with the kit Scoobs sent me for the one hour challenge prize. I used cherry wood on the front and red oak for the back. It's really thick but comfortable to hold. Scoobs also sent me a jar of Lord Sheraton balsam, I used as a one step finish. It's linseed oil, beeswax, and pine turpentine. It soaked right into the wood and left a haze of wax to buff off. I liked it a lot. I banded it up with the blue bands and leather he sent as well. It shoots very accurately and it's nice to try new band material. Well, here is.
    1388564865176.jpg
    1388564898072.jpg
    1388564950170.jpg

Sent from my ME173X using Slingshot Forum mobile app

2. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

WOW!

what a beast!

Well done!

Happy new year!

Be

3. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

That looks great!
    cool prize Scooby, and nice work Dolo.

4. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

5. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Very nice dolomite, turned out fantastic, and congrats again on winning the challenge

6. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Can u name all the woods u used on this marvelous piece including the core

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Nice job! Good choice of woods and a really nice finish on it too, simple and clean.

Glad you like the balsalm, its great when you dont want to change the colour of the wood too much but still want to protect it. It also works well as a top coat after a more 'normal' linseed bath. They make a leather care one from almond oil too which smells REALLY nice :)

Good to hear that its accurate too, thats the most important thing after all.

Did it take more than an hour to build? ;)

8. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

That's a beauty.

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I worked on it on and off for about three days. Things went quickly after I got new belts and sleeves for my sander.

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice work D! The grain on that piece is really nice. It's a nice piece to look at. Now if I could only get my eyes off that belt sander...

11. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Did you notice my new belt? The pretty red hides blood stains well,lol. Haven't got bitten by it yet.

12. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Beautiful job on it! That finish is nice too seeing it doesn't change the natural wood colors. Sweet sander you have there too.