The Slingshot Forums banner

Comparison of Theratube colours

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  JasonP 
#1 ·
<font face="Arial"><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: normal">It is clear to most that thinner bands/tubes shoot faster for light ammo but struggle for heavier stuff but I cannot find any statistical data elaborating on this. I&rsquo;m interested to know at what point will one band set be better than another as each must have its own perfect weight ammo, right?</span><br><br><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: normal">I have purchased a few feet of various Theratubes (yellow, red, green, blue) as well as a large range of steel balls from 5mm to 25mm. Using a high speed camera I intend to fire each size of ammo from each Theratube in an identical set up (most likely double bands for easy band change) I will then calculate the max kinetic energy each band set can achieve. The results should be posted here within two weeks depending on when various parts arrive from overseas.</span><br><br><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: normal">Before I start I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to optimise this investigation or any ways to extend it etc. I&rsquo;m not to keen on comparing the number of bands (single double triple) yet, depending on how this tests goes I will probably do that later.</span></font>

#2 ·
may i suggest using marbles too instead of only steel balls??<br><br>it is the type of cheap and unfortunatley light ammo I will use myself<br><br><br><br>and maybe using some type of slingshot crossbow will quarantee that you get the exact same draw length every time???<br><br><br>maybe add how much elevation degrees you need to reach certain distance (also easier with sling crossbow)<br><br>

#3 ·
<font face="Arial"><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: normal">@ skaunejohan</span><br><br><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: normal">Good idea, I will include marbles as a separate idea as a guide for the many people such as yourself that use marbles. It would not be fair to compare this data to that of the steel balls due to the large variation in density. It will be interesting to see how they compare to a ball bearing of equal mass.</span><br><br><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: normal">I am not much of a handy man and would likely struggle with building a crossbow. Although not a perfect solution I plan to use an anchor point (corner of my mouth) to fire the shots from a relatively equal length and firing at least three shots for each data point and averaging them to help reduce variation from this factor.</span><br><br><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: normal">Measuring flight path introduces far too many variables such as wind speed, air pressure, even humidity etc. Also the small bearings would prove nearly impossible to find. I feel that velocity upon release to be the fairest way to compare the different bands. Theoretical angles of elevation, range and trajectory can easily be calculated from their initial velocity.</span><br><br><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: normal">Thanks for the input, I know my &ldquo;test&rdquo; is far from perfect and enjoy all feedback </span></font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.