Cockchafer

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Antraxx, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

If i had to pick my personal favorite out of my own it would be this one.

Had a very smooth Buildingphase, tried bookmatching for the first time and i´m really glad how she turned out.

As usual the Name was given during build. The Desert Ironwood reminded me of the Wingcovers from that awesome Beetle i saw i lot in my Childhood...i wonder where they are now :(

5mm Brass Core, Amaranth, tripple-A-Grade Ebony, Desert-Ironwood-Burl, Brass-Vulcanfibre-Spacers, Mother of Peal Inlay.

Sanded to 1500 grit and applied the usual Oil-Oil-Wax finish.

Have a great day and take care

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

simply loving it, the handle turned out just stunning and love the metal in the sling
    nice details

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Wow, what a stunner once again!

I admit I had to google "cockchafer"... I had a completely different, way more dirty idea about the word's meaning at first... but truly, this looks like the may bug I hunted in my childhood, in order to store them in a matchbox and compare them with my friends collections.

Congrats!

4. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Wow... As hade been said already, stunning... I'm amazed...

And fantastic photo-skills too!!

5. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Just one word: Wow!

6. Bighaze51

Bighaze51 Professional Amateur Dude

That's a sexy slinger. Always amazed at what you turn out. Great job!

7. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

The purple in the Amaranth is so vivid. How do you keep it from oxidizing to a duller brown-purple? I must know your secret! The rest is pure eye candy. Your joinery is flawless. I doff my skimmer.

8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I'm with Joerg. I half-expected to see a badly formed pair of pants, judging from the name (I have owned several pairs that would suit this title very well:D).
    However, this is a thing of sheer beauty. I am just floored by the level of your craftsmanship and talent!

9. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

He said 'Cockchafer' he he he he......

Right, now Ive got that out of my system, what a slingshot! You really do make truly beautiful pieces, a total inspiration to keep practising to try and get half as good a result as you!

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

You know it's going to be a good day when you see a new post from Antraxx! Just a really beautiful slingshot. You really test my knowledge of adjectives, I'm running out of words. Where's Thistle when you need her? This one evokes images of a smoking lounge in a men's club, dark woods with subtle, warm tones and that lovely brass. I think perhaps after a day of shooting with this one, a nice single malt scotch and a fine cigar would be appropriate ;)

11. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

12. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Thank you very much Guys, always a pleasure to present a new Sling here :)

The May-Bug directly came into my mind when i shaped the Palmswell...but the Name May-Bug always reminded me of that aweful "June-Bug" Song which i don´t wanted...so as an alternative...well...at first i had the same ideas about "shaving something" :D but at least this Name sticks to ones mind :)

The Amaranth is normally dull and brown when it is freshly cut.
    After i finished the sanding with 1500 i put it outside in the sunlight. One day for each side.
    Normally you can nearly watch it turning purple...on a sunny day that happens really quick..but i want to play it safe.
    Since i always keep them in a dark place when not used i had no issues so far with the color fading. I posted a pic somewhere (i think it was in the "Claw" Thread) from a one Year old Amaranth Sling. Directly compared that wood had a bad quality and it is still pretty colorful.

The fact that the Slingshot was finished just a day before and that i got up before sunlight and caught the first rays that morning definitely helped the color. I even had to reduce the red channels in this pics, believe it or not...it looked almost artificial :confused:

13. Courier

Courier Senior Member

I agree with all the other memebers. An excellent slingshot!! ..as always. :)

14. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

beauty. i wonder if this is the only arts you make? there must be something else...

15. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Well...i don´t consider this "Art"...what do you think?

Hm...i just like to work with my Hands and in over 90% of the cases...when i need something...i´m not satisfied with what there is to buy...so i try to make it myself.

Does Motobike-Restauration count?

I finished a "Wood-Project" just Yesterday wich i did with my new bought Scroll-Saw.
    I have done that for my Parents...dunno, if you want to see a Pic i can post it...but be warned, it´s "very German" lol :p

16. Ryan Wigglesworth

its art man!!! and its pushing the bounds of slingshottery !

i figured this must be like a little project on the side for you, with your regular day job being to make spaceships or replica viking long boats or something?

amazing bro, simply amazing. i love your work it inspires me to get better and better :)

please show please show!

17. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

When will you stop with all these beauties ? :eek:

J I loves it

18. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Thank you very much Ryan.

If it only would be that way...but i thik if my everyday-job would be exiting...there would be no need to do something at home. I honestly think the more boring it is, the better i get with my Funprojects...so it´s up to you know to judge how "cool" my regular job is lol :p

And now to Off-Topic...this is what kept me buisy over the last 2 or 3 Weeks...1-2 hours each evening.
    Something else you can make out of Multiplex :)
    I bought the few deer since i have no tools for carving. the other stuff is drawn with a pencil and sawed out.
    40 Led´s for lighting. Width around 85cm. It´s called a "Schwibbogen" over here:

[​IMG]

19. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Beautiful he's not only got proper sling swag but he also makes proper Christmas swag :)

J

20. Ryan Wigglesworth