Cleaver modding, Rambone handle (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by JoergS, Oct 29, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

The next Rambone samples have arrived - and I gave my OK! This is a great compromise between strength (25% fiber glass) and finish. The rough surface gives excellent purchase!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since Halloween is upcoming, I felt I had to do a Zombie mod to a butcher's cleaver I ordered from amazon. 27 Euros! Supposed to be "professional grade".

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B002WOV1H8/ref=pe_386171_38075861_TE_item

It was way too light (about 200 grams), and also the handle was too small for my hands.

[​IMG]

So I removed it! Turns out it was hollow.

[​IMG]

(Continued)

2. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

Can't wait to see whats next!

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

- Part 2 -

So I sawed one of the Rambones apart, nicely through the middle, then sawed the fork arms off.

[​IMG]

I had to cut the steel handle into shape to attach it cleanly. Sawed out two matching pieces of airplane grade plywood, same thickness as the steel. Glued things together, then drilled the holes for the pins.

[​IMG]

Next, I sawed a huge groove into a 30mm steel ball, in order to attach it to theblade+handle. This will give the weapon some serious oomph. It weighs 110 grams (1/4 lb). Mind you the new handle is massive and much bigger than the old cheapo thing, so it is a lot heavier too.

[​IMG]

Then I epoxied everything together.

[​IMG]

Took the file and sandpaper to shape and smooth things properly. Went up to 240 grit sandpaper, then went back to 80 grit and vertically sanded again, in order to match the brushed blade.

[​IMG]

- Continued -

4. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

- Part 3 -

Now the weapon is finished!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Continued -

5. Courier

Courier Senior Member

I just have to say it... the samples look great!!
    We all can't wait to have one of those. :)

The cleaver is "supposed" to be "professional grade".. nowadays the meat in germany is "supposed" to be horse-free. :D

edit/
    Just saw the result of your modding. WOW! You proved that even a cheapo cleaver can be turned into a really badass one. Great work, Jörg.

P.S. The handle looks really and I mean really comfortable.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  6. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

- Part 4 -

It took me four years to arrive at what I think is the most ergonomic slingshot handle ever. Then it doomed on me that a hacking knife has very similar stress patterns - during action, the webbing of the thumb and the pinkie carry all of the load.

So my work in the field of slingshots is DIRECTLY transferable to hacking knifes such as cleavers! It works, I encourage you to give it a try.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This now weighs 440 grams (= 1lb). Perfect for melee Zombie skull splitting jobs!

- End -

7. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Awesome mod, and when will these ram bones be ready to buy?

8. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Now that I have given my final OK for the first mass prod run, it should be really soon. AFAIK the release is planned for in about three weeks.

9. cool!
    also did you say that you where going to release 3d printer files?
    if do then when?? :)

10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Templates and .stl files will be released at the same time as shipping starts.

11. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Very good looking handle. I like the finish on it much more then how it is on the ss itself. The blade doesnt look professional to me tho, too light for a cleaver.

12. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

It was too light, that's why I added the 30mm steel ball...

The blade is thin (4mm) and fully tapered, making it very effective against meaty materials.

13. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Does the ball work good as a weight when its between the blade and the handle ? I gotta say it looks funky ;)

14. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Nice!! Now all roasts shall tremble in fear:D! You know...with so much kitchen/meat talk here, I could see this easily turning into a recipe fest...:D

15. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

How much will those sell for Joerg? Interesting design, love the look of it.

16. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

It feels like a more massive blade, well balanced now.

I think the price starts at 19,95 Euros, a little more if you want hunting strength flat bands.

17. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

That sounds like a good price point...not too high that mere mortals must wait...and not so low the maker gets discouraged and throws in the towel :D

I am not sure I would want to get close enough to a zombie to use a cleaver....maybe a cleaver on a long stick? Or a cleaver flinger? Hmmmm.

Congratulations on your design success.

18. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hallo Jörg,

Das ist ja ne feine Sache!- Setz mich ruhig auf die Liste
    der Interessenten, so ein Ding kauf ich Dir ab!
    Und falls das auch ein Filmutensil darstellt: super!-
    ein feiner "butcher´s gear"!

Be

19. LW

LW New Member

That slingshot is very interesting, and I am sure to buy one, when it is on the market.
    I hope you don’t mind if I pimp it up a little bit, (for personal use) I am sure we will see a lot of custom Rambones with you permission.

And that butcher's cleaver looks very nice and useful, like the last photo. No comparison to the original one!

20. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Guys, it is not me who sells these slingshots. Therefore I can't say too much about details. But I am sure modding is totally OK!