The Slingshot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Im from Holland, isnt that weird?
6,001 Posts
I tried it a long while ago. I just used pottery clay which I formed into ball shaped objects and let airdry. I didn't really like it, not enough mass and single use. The cloud of dust is somewhat fun tho ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used it some, air dry clay, takes time to make into balls, not re usable, about 10 yards with some accuracy, about same accuracy as stones, and actually not cheap, fun ammo, and different, just not real practical for me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I’ve killed a few pest birds with clay balls, but the were only about 8 m. Was just clay, tried mixing steel dust in it, and wouldn’t work for me, have not shot or made any clay balls for quite a while now.
Another bad thing about them they absorb the moisture (humidity) and get mushy, real messy.

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
I love clay ammo. I buy 10mm balls from a local supplier on Amazon Japan. It's now my ammo of choice for outdoor shooting, for two reasons: 1) it's eco-friendly - hits disintegrate on impact, misses melt after the first rain; and 2) it's safer for public shooting - it won't ricochet off rocks, but also has an image of being safe in case I'm questioned about it.

It's definitely light ammo, so I shoot it with single TB Black, but it's plenty heavy enough to (eventually) cut a beer can in two.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Most folks speak of straight clay shot. As a boy in Arkansas, we would take bank red clay and make balls around small rocks. Mum would bake them in the oven for us. Odd shaped rocks wrapped in clay are fair ballistic by virtue of aerodynamics-V-Balance.
Cheap, Heavy, Shoots good.
Wow! Posting this was a chore!
Patreon! Making free shit SOOO worth it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried it a long while ago. I just used pottery clay which I formed into ball shaped objects and let airdry. I didn't really like it, not enough mass and single use. The cloud of dust is somewhat fun tho ;)
Well, it's official: I make my own NC red clay ammo in 12 mm now. I made an 9.6 mm (80% of the ball size) "sausage" extruder out of an old caulking gun, and do a quick and dirty pottery wet-process on the ubiquitous red dirt. I let it get almost crack dry, and then extrude it. I roll it with a 12 mm bait rolling table from Gardner, (shout out to the UK) and low and behold it works! Takes about five minutes to roll out 50-100 balls and the next day they are hard as rock. I then hit 'em with a quick spray of furniture polish, Jury still out on whether it is all worth it. I will let you know. But my ammo is at least as good as the stuff you get on Amazon, and from now on anyway, it is free.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts