Christmas Shooting Fun With Family

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by JoergS, Dec 26, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

My dear brother visited over Christmas and brought my nephew with him. a 15 year old boy who hasn't shot a slingshot in his life before.

Of course that had to change!

I decided that paint balls would be a good start, as I didn't really want to risk any catastrophic injury that would spoil the party... so I bought a pack of 500 .62 cal. powder balls, banded up 3 Rambones with weak bands (TBG straight cut 1,5 cm single layers) and put a Zombie target 15 meters away from the rain safe garage shooting stance.

I taught the boys how to shoot target style (sideways, anchor point = corner of the mouth) and we started to shoot.

At first they got good results, then they experienced a few fork hits, tried to avoid those, which lead to nothing BUT fork hits so I taught them how to flip and how to twist the pouch. That did the trick. The poor Zombie got chalked up but good!

The fun started when we turned to volley shooting. All three firing at once. What a blast!

Towards the end, when the women already started to call us in for more food, I took a really strong slingshot with hand protection and fired some high speed shots into the Zombie target. Amazingly, the powder balls did NOT explode (like they did when shot from the weak bands) but cracked the hard shell of the 3D target!

You can see some of the intact balls sticking in the holes in the last two pictures. I guess those would have been very painful hits at a paintball range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shooting paintballs is a great way to learn the sport safely and to build up confidence. Both guys now wouldn't have a problem shooting steel balls. But if I would have given them steel balls right away... oh my.

2. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Nice Christmas shooting.
    I couldn´t believe, that paintballs are hard as these.
    Maybe they were to long in your storage and the softener was gone out of the plastic.

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Actually those were very fresh, arrived just two days before Christmas. Plus they exploded fine when shot from the weak bands.

It is more like jumping from the 3 meter board into the swimming pool and it is fun, you dive in with a nice splash, but if you jump from 100 meters into the same pool you break every bone in your body... the speed is so high that the liquid/powder gets rock hard, has no time to move.

4. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

What a MESS! (for the Zombie!)

.. looks like it was a lot of fun!

Greetings,

Be

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

What a fine way to spend Christmas with your family! I didn't know they made powder filled paintballs - I have some of the regular ones, and they are messy if you get a fork hit (trust me on this one). What a great thing to do for your nephew. So the next question - did he leave with a Rambone?

The only thing missing? Joerg saying "Ha ha ha Thanks and Merry Christmas"

6. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

So it's only a question of speed, like the Ninja, throwing a needle through glass.

7. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Both the boy and his father took their weapons home, of course. Goes without saying.

8. Cool!
    Also that slingshot looks nice is it see through?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

9. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I can imagine the drive home "Uncle Joerg is the best!"

Same as I used to think when I was 15 and my Uncle had guns and a motorbike :)

Very cool way to have some Christmas family bonding time, and that clear Rambone really does look cool!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

It was just a fun Xmas party. Very leaned back.

My wonderful wife just knows how to prepare a great Christmas duck.

[​IMG]

And here you can see me, about 45 minutes later, when knives and forks were to be... optional. :)

[​IMG]

11. Waterhead

Waterhead New Member

Sounds like you had a fun Christmas Joerg. :)

I received a Scout slingshot from simple-shot.com for Christmas and I'm having a lot of fun learning how to shoot. I'm using your Rambone tutorial videos on how to shoot as well as general tips I've learned from watching your videos. I believe I'm shooting with 9.5mm steel balls that are easy to shoot but due to having some vision problems I've thought of switching to paintballs since they would be easier to see. I look forward to many hours of shooting and just want to thank you for getting me interested in slingshots. :)<O:p</O:p

12. trevorbell1

trevorbell1 trevorbell1

that looks fantastic, im sure you could make good use of them bones lol jorg! lol

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

That sounds like a lot of fun. I love shooting paintballs out of my Trumark and my PFS.

I still say the Rambone looks brilliant in clear.

14. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

When the subject comes to powerful shots, you really don't know how to play, huh?:D

15. ColtSmith

ColtSmith New Member

That turkey looks good!

16. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

That looked like fun :)

On Christmas Eve our sausages had been boiling too long so they curled up into beautiful roses and very tasty and not spiky :p

J

17. harrisondeep

harrisondeep New Member

Having fun on Christmas celebration will make Christmas holiday very happy. In that catching videos in fun time will keep us to remember what things we have done at Christmas are.