Choosing tools (HELP BV, PLEASE!!!)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brazilviking, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I've been thinking about buying me a table saw...an a belt sander
    I've foud both on a local internet store, and a fantaistic promotion, where you buy both with low price together.....Ah, free shipping!!
    But I've never worked with a beltsander before....sooooo

I need to know how much does it help on a workshop. Can I shape wood with it? does it replace some of the annoying manual sanding work? The belt lasts about how much time with frequent use?

In resume....is it worth?

My tools are: Eletric drill(manual)...not table, jigsaw, dremmel, and a weak table grinder

I already thank for all the help!!

Attached Files:

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Both tools would be very good! A belt sander is a huge help and will save you tons of time. I had an ancient model that recently broke finally and I miss it very much!
    That saw appears to be what is called a 'bandsaw' very helpful for what we do. However, the same brand, Skil, also makes a very nice scroll saw that would be even better. I believe its the same price too...
    But both of these are excellent purchases!

3. Brazilviking

the scrollsaw it cheaper....I thought this bandsaw would be better than the scrollsaw.......:confused:

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Its a very tough choice. The bandsaw will cut larger items, and very quickly, but it will not be as accurate as a scroll saw for board cut shooters. The scroll saw will cut a much tighter radius.
    Both are very good, but it depends upon which you think would be better for you

5. Brazilviking

hummmmmm! That is a great info!!! thanks!!!

6. Brazilviking

This is the scrollsaw, I think...also with a promtion when bought wit the beltsander...

Attached Files:

7. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

The two together with a price where the bundle is cheaper than the separate units is a nice deal I had to choose between a band saw and a scroll and went with the scroll. Mainly because the band is a lil' scary to me. If you get the scroll, be sure to release the blade tension when you are done. I didn't and broke something. The belt sander is pretty handy for making flat surface when laminating and you should be able to round, cut angle and in general shape up some various materials. One is on my "To-Get" list.

8. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I would go for the bandsaw... I have one and it helps a lot with boardcuts and sawing out naturals, and when you need a straight line for a crossbow and so on. The belt sander can also be of good help (I only have a handheld model). Some projects would have been a pain in the backside without it :D

9. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

The scroll saws blades tend to breach if you shove them very hardly in there (the wood) and you have to have a firm grip otherwise you will have a piece of wood stuck in your face and a broken blade. But very accurate I school I only broke one blade :D. We had a sander very usefull we made a wooden plane and my best friend was the sander and the scroll saw. As flip gun said the band saw is scary LOL but I don't know I might only get a sander in Germany :(

Hope you make up your mind :)

J

10. CEZ

CEZ New Member

I like this thread, I was actually going to buy a bandsaw myself but a scrollsaw sounds interesting now.
    I use a belt sander, I have a hand held one but made it stationary. It's very useful, you can shape wood with it, quickly make flat surfaces for glueing different types of wood, sharpen blades and do a million other things with it. Along with a jigsaw (which I have also made stationary) it's my most important tool for slingshots.

11. Brazilviking

Thanks! I knew that our mates could prvide the essential information that I really need to make this decision!
    I'm glad that it is helping you too!

12. Schultz

Schultz New Member

I don´t have this things, but I´am sure that they make a good job.
    When I renember me, how fast my Angle grinder grind wood.

13. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Today I work on my Walking stick inspired by ToSick, and have make a short movie, where I show you how good a Angle Grinder work with wood.
    Maybe you don´t need a Belt sander, and can also grind your titan stuff with this.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt-Sx86AypU[/ame]

14. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Years back when my grandpa and I built a table for my wife, I got to use his belt sander. It took the rough edges off my clumsy cuts in no time flat.

15. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

The bandsaw is the better choice than the scrollsaw, because you are able to cut thicker materials. It has more power. On this little bandsaw is a sawband, that allows you to make small radiuses. You only have to go a little bit back with the band and cut more material away.So it´s easier to turn the band.
    I use one from Proxxon (MBS240/E) and i´m very happy with it. It has the same dimesions like the machine on that picture from you. I´m cutting 20mm Alu with small radiuses on it. Making small wood pieces with flat sufaces.
    Instead of the beltsander i would buy a Dremel or fast grinder from Proxxon.
    One tip, on Youtube you will find some vid´s with instructions for bandsaws.
    Greatings
    Peter

16. Brazilviking

Can you cut detailed shapes with it? 3 cm diameter circles?

17. LW

LW New Member

What Slingpit said is exactly my opinion. A Band saw is the better choice. 3 cm radius depends on the material which you want to cut.
    If you've never worked with a band saw, you need someone who tells you how to work with it, especially when you want to cut small radius. But it is not that difficult. If you want I can write you some tips and tricks.

I have a similar belt sanding station like on your image,...but use it rarely.
    bandschleifer.jpg bandsäge.jpg

My favorite tool is a drill press with various attachments.

standbohrer.jpg tools.jpg

But the most important when working with these machines, you need a good dust extraction.

sauger.jpg

Even with the drill press you can work with the dust extraction very easy, if you want I can show you...

I hope I could help making a decision... :)

18. Brazilviking

I would love to learn! If it won't be a trouble for you!:D:D:D

19. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I really love my band saw. I've never had the pleasure of the scroll saw, so i can't compare the two.

Thorsten,s point is very good--regarding how much space you can dedicate to dust and mess.
    I can picture a scroll saw on the kitchen table, a band saw maybe not so much.
    In any case easier to store away than a band saw if you havent much space.

You are going to really show us some great stuff now, with all of these powerful tools at hand I'm excited to see what you come up with.