Children & Slingshots?????

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by FilthyRusty, Jan 31, 2014.

1. FilthyRusty

FilthyRusty New Member

Hey Every Body

Was Just having a discussion with my son before school about the next time we will have a target session and my daughter over heard and asked if i could build her one. She is 5 and my son is 8 what age would you say a child is old enough to start slinging :confused:

PEACE and thanks for listening

2. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

3. FilthyRusty

FilthyRusty New Member

4. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hey Rusty,

my daughter is six, and I built a little office rubbered "beanflipper" for her!-
    For the outdoor catchbox doesnt exist yet and because of the
    temperatures we don´t shoot recently.
    But I can say that she had fun!- On the other hand,
    ponies are more attractive at the moment!

I think that it can´t be wrong to let kids experience
    shooting at a cardboard box: I honestly believe that
    it trains their three-dimensional perception.

In simple words: slingshots are fun (ain´t they? ;) )

So I´d say give her a chance to try it out. If she likes it
    it will make her want to play outside, using body and mind..

What could be better?

kind regards,

Be

5. egmont

egmont Slingshot General

When you think she is ready to handle it.

6. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

I had an order last year for a slingshot (in pink!) for a 2 year old girl from a doting grandfather in the USA. And I've just given one to the 8 year old daughter of a friend. The lightest rubber I had was a bit of 20/40 and that seems to be working well for her, mainly shooting olives as the safest (and most abundant) ammo.

7. FilthyRusty

FilthyRusty New Member

Thanks EveryBody My daughter is like her daddy in the fact that she wants one like mine (natural fork) no pink colouring in this household HOORAY :D

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

My daughter isn't big into slingshots, but she does like to do the things her daddy does, so occasionally shooting a slingshot is fun for her. She's turning 7 in a week and I do trust her with a small slingshot, but only under direct supervision. By her age, I was shooting pellet guns and .22lr rifles, so I don't see a problem with a slingshot. As long as she continues to show she will listen to my direction and follow the rules, I have no problem letting her shoot. I think you have to assess the maturity level of the kid - not every kid can follow directions or respect the rules.

9. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I agree with Withak, you have to assess the maturity level of the child. There are a lot of adults I wouldn't let touch a slingshot but i have no qualms handing one to my 6 year old god son as i know he's a very mature boy for his age, and he can comprehend the instructions I give him.

10. FilthyRusty

FilthyRusty New Member

yeah i was the same although sometimes i wonder how my father convinced my mother. It took me a LONG time to get my childrens mum to allow me to even let them see a slingshot :(

But both my children are very mature and able to follow instruction so i think i may be able to win the argument of why my daughter should have her own slingshot :D

11. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

When Joerg wrote about using paintballs, and made me aware of dry powderballs, the lights went on for me.

Since we haven't any olive trees I need to get a supply. Kids of all ages can get some skills before moving up to more destructive stuff.

As well as the spatial skills Be speaks of, the intuitive "feel" for energy and physics is great tactile training that crayons and video games can't offer.
    I like all of the ideas in this thread.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  12. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I find it good for myself because then I've got something else to do then homework and sit In front of the computer ...

:) I think it starts making fun when you make them yourself like I started about a year ago and just upgraded :)

I think it is fun and children from my age as well shouldn't always be on their computer, console, or tablet whatever.

Just my 2 cents

J

13. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

Biblical scholars presume David was between 12 and 16 when he slew Goliath. So lots of years of practice before that I think.

14. zurk021414

zurk021414 New Member

One thing to remember, kids have a much shorter attention span. Whatever you set up to do, immediately go on to something else if the interest flags. I learned this the hard way, many times, talking about chemistry. Can't understand why anyone wouldn't be interested, for hours and hours...:D

15. WATERLOGIC

WATERLOGIC Banned

Quote :

what age would you say a child is old enough to start slinging ?

Some "children" at age 40 + years cannot be trusted whereby many children at age 5 + years are quite trustworthy ….;)

… but again - it is nice to never grow up ...:)

16. zurk021414

zurk021414 New Member

This topic brought something to mind. When I was growing up, guns were kept around the house. Us four kids knew not to touch them until we went either target practicing or hunting. It was a spanking offense and most likely a grounding from doing anything with them. There was never an incident. I wonder if slingshooters do the same, or do you keep them up high or locked up? Slingshots do have the advantage of probably not being lethal at the amount of pull a kid would have and most likely the handslap or broken window would be a deterrent to handling it without permission again. Do you keep them out of reach?

17. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

My daughter was 10 when I made her a slingshot, she likes shooting paintballs and create a mess for me to clean up. ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1395751404.571359.jpg
    She wrapped handle herself.

Sent from my iPhone using Slingshot Forum

18. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

My seven year old daughter has been hounding me for one the past few days. The problem I was having is that her maturity is not ready for any hard ammo. I was trying to figure out something that was soft enough to prevent damage, limit mess but also have enough heft to it to save her from band-slaps. Thanks for the olive idea - I had not considered fruits and veggies.

One question to those that talked about the pink bands - I need something very flexible. Can you give me more details on the bands you used? I am afraid that even the 1/2" wide large rubber bands are too strong for her. I only use TB Gold and Black on my shooters.

19. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Snader, that looks like a really nice slingshot. Cool wrapping job too! :)

As far as leaving slingshots lying around Im terrible for it. I gave the kids the rules when it comes to 'weapons'. They wouldn't dare go near the gun cabinet or knives and my eldest knows to only shoot the slingshots when I am there. I'm a believer that if its not going to cause injury then they are free to learn by experience. It worked the one time she sneaked off to shoot paper balls and hit the back of her hand, nothing bad but it must have stung!

I knew what she was doing and thought that it was one of those times experience was better than a telling off. She kept quiet about it and never did it again because she knew it was wrong and also now knew the consequences!

I used really weak pink bands on my daughters slingshot, I just searched ebay until I found a weak one. I'll try and find a link later :)

20. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

I let my 5 year old recently shoot my scout. It was with acorns though. I wouldn't let him shoot anything heavy, destructive, or harmful to him.