Chemicals for vulcanization... I need help!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by JoergS, May 30, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I found a source for natural latex milk and want to make my own slingshot bands. This means I need the chemicals for the vulcanization.

I found everythng (sulphur, zinc oxide, tenside, distilled water) - with the exception of 2-Mercaptobenzothiazole. This is the vulc accelerator.

I found it online at several chemical suppliers, but they only sell to businesses that are in the chemical industry.

Is anyone here able and willing to get me a small quantity?

2. Jörg,
    Do you mean that it so simply a suitably strong and efficient rubber is to be produced?
    For years the elastic manufacturers have also done research to produce such rubber?
    There one should have somebody in an elastic work. :confused:

Could You ask in a drugstore for the chemicals to make some tests? ;)

Joe

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

I'd suggest to ask a science teacher, you could demonstrate the process to the students and take the rubber afterwards, a win-win!

4. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

You don't really need the vulcanization accelerator if you don't mind waiting several extra hours. Heat, sulphur, and some zinc is all I used back in high school chemistry, and the rubber came out rather strong.

5. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

The research is mostly in the direction of making the rubber lasting longer, protecting it from sun and so on. The basic formula, AFAIK, is still unchanged.

I don't expect this to be better than TBG, but I hope that I can at least make a useable, functional band set.

I want to make a video about this, teaching people about vulcanization.

6. Bullybreeder

Bullybreeder Banned

It can be way better than theraband gold. You can make it about 1/4 inch thick to make it last very long and still have that latex speed ( with slight depletions because of thickness ) Then you may have a great source. If it turns out good I will certainly give it a try and then share my results with you.