cheap ammo

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by GunGuy, Jan 31, 2014.

1. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

I have read several post with people asking where to buy ball-bearing ammo. I can't help you buy it, but being a cheapskate and working in the automotive industry all my life I can tell you some very good small stuff can come from wheel bearings on most vehicles and some nice large ammo can come from front wheel drive CV axles. so if you have a nice pick and pull or a friend with with a yard full of junk tear it up and have some fun with it. If you have a local repair shop stop in and ask them to keep them for you, that's how I got started collecting to begin with, a customer saw the bearings sitting there and was drooling all over them.

2. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

[​IMG]
    I thought I would give you guys an example of what I get all the time. This is a little over 20mm steel ball from the CV joints on an H1 Hummer. If it ever stops snowing I will dig out my gallon jug of 8mm from the front bearings to show you.

3. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

Oh wow I never knew that it was balls inside I always thought they were enclosed ball bearings and were almost impossible to remove.

4. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

Depending on the design of the joint I can get 12 balls from one axle in under 60 seconds with a nothing but a razor knife. Wheel bearings take a little longer and a hammer but you get 30 - 50 balls from them.

5. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

Seems like its a good idea. But aren't they very oily

6. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

That's the thing: disassembling wheel bearings is a lot of work, and not too many junkers are gonna let you wander around their yard disassembling all their wheel bearings. They tend to sell entire axle assemblies at a time, and if those assemblies are incomplete they can't do that.

7. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

Not everybody has access to a good yard. That is why you make friends with a local shop, bring the guys in some donuts and they will pile the bad bearings up for your next trip to see them. If you bring really good donuts they might even disassemble and degrease them for you. Trust me I was a tech for 20 years, good food will get you to the top of the list every single time.

8. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

Thats a great idea next time a visit my friend Andrew I'll be sure to bring him some donuts.

9. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

As luck would have it one of the guys at my shop put a wheel bearing in his Honda car of some sorts last weekend. I timed it and in 5 minutes I had 28 1/2" steel balls clean and ready to shoot.
    [​IMG]
    This
    [​IMG]
    To this in 5 minutes.

10. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

I found some of my bearings stashed away in the garage.[​IMG]

11. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

12. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

That sling in the last pic looks pretty sweet

13. FilipNilssob

FilipNilssob Lactose is my Kryptonite

My father fixes cars for extra money at home, there fore we have a workshop and power tools. One day a car he had been GIVEN, One wheel had just broken off, the axel was so rusty that it just broke of. and there for i had a can full of ammo :D

14. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

It's true, mechanics love doughnuts and coffee.

I have a few friends that I'll be calling on soon.

15. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

16. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

It looks like a slingshot and brass knuckles merged. great!

17. SadClown

SadClown New Member

Could you be so kind to send me the blueprints of your knuckles slingshot. I don't know it it will work with plywood but I'll try

I try

18. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

I can see a white cloth!
    It´s white! and cloth!-

And it is exactly the cloth dreams are made of... ;)

Is cloth-envy legal? - anyway: America seems to
    be the land of the supercloths!- Did I say micarta
    yet? Well then: Epoxy to the cloth!

Micarta, my-carta!

;)

Be

19. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

hmm? theres not white cloth in Germany? :confused:

20. GunGuy

GunGuy Active Member

I didn't make it from blueprints sorry I just went out in the shop and cut away at some aluminum and that came out.