Central vic poor house shangais!

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by roger59, May 28, 2013.

1. roger59

roger59 Member

here is some of my shanghai's/shangai's, i live just about destitute, and it was the depression that taught our family to make these little bastards to gather rabbits and roos in the 20's 30's and during the world war.

i have already broken one, slapping a "yonnie" in the fork it's a couple in from the left and made from redgum with a nice yoke curve.

i use office rubbers at the moment, and am waiting until things change until i can get better quality rubber. i have some speargun rubber but it shoots alot slower than venhart brand or esselte office rubber. it is alot more durable, but i prefer the speed and power of the office rubber... until i can buy some theraband tube, or sheet.

i have been experimenting and found that tapering, like Joerge Spraves calculator suggests, ie; in office rubber, esselte size 64 4- then 4- then 3- then 3- then ten size 16 venharts and the pouch each side. i know that this may make no sense at all to some of you but please ask me if you have any query. this is the fitting for my homemade natural.

oh yeah, the lower photo, the left slingshot is redgum, made about a week ago, strung with japenese rubber and a blundstone boot leather patch,

the middle slingshot (or shanghai) made 25 years ago, strung up with an oversized patch, for shooting bluestone railroad bedding, using fowlers jar rubber seals, and venhart rubber bands. the rise is too high for me and is useless except at close range (2-10 metres)

the shanghai on the right, is my Acacia shooter (hammerhead wannabe) stung with venharts and esselte bands, patch made out of a boot (tasmanian blundstone) finished today and oiled with my favorite- Neetsfoot oil (i love the smell!).

hope all the text is worth the explanation.

bye for now!

enjoy the photos!

Attached Files:

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i don't really understand what you're saying:confused: but nice slingshots!

3. roger59

roger59 Member

that's OK. you are not alone.

not many people can understand what i am trying to say... and when they do it is usually followed by criticism.

please enjoy today's effort, another made, with a pickle fork upper and a contoured grip. haven't shot it yet, but it is made from Acacia and finished in neetsfoot oil.

Attached Files:

4. roger59

roger59 Member

OK, Lingo learning, (or nomenclature for ocker antipodean colonialists)

Yonnie = Stone (Australian Aboriginal word for slinging stone)

Lukkers = Rubber Bands (Aussie slang for elastic bands ie; lukker bands)

Destitute = very very poor

Bastards = fatherless son / cuss word (a term of endearment)

redgum = flowering hardwood (eucalyptus camaldulensus, originating in Australia and found across the globe)

Shangai/Shanghai = Sling shot.

Anything else lad? please feel free.
    (by that i mean, if nothing makes sense at all- just ask. cheers!)
    geezer on the frog an toad!
    (see you on the road!)

bye for now!

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Very nice work! I like your designs and the fact that building and shooting 'Shanghais' was more than just a hobby for you. Actually using them to put food on the table is really impressive. Thanks for sharing your pictures and for the Aussie lingo lesson!

6. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Nice " Shanghai' s" !!!

7. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Let's discuss about shooting with cracked forks.
    Any meaning?

8. You can shoot as long as with the sly fork to them breaks! :confused: :eek: :eek:

How in the saying:

The jug goes as long as to the well to him breaks! :eek: :confused:

9. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Wow, unexpected. :D

10. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Cool to see your collection, and even cooler to know that these have been serious tools of survival, not just for fun.

Watched a nice you tube and learned more about the Fowler's jar rubber. Home canning has become some kind of bored housewife trendy thing here, so the supplies are overpriced. Do those bright orange canning seals come pretty cheap down there? Ive never seen any of that design before today. Finding out new uses for stuff always gives me a great feeling.

Thanks for the widow to Oz:)