catchbox design

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Hardtimes, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Hardtimes

Hardtimes Member

Here is the basic idea: Heavy duty FOLDING CATCHBOX

This might be too big but I think you might follow what I am getting at. A catchbox like briefcase that provides a target on the go. Lets see what we can come up with, both custom and repurposed items.

2. greenevegiebeast

greenevegiebeast New Member

What I have been using is a card board box we receive some of our candy in. It is lined with styrofoam. A total of about 3inches. Of styrofoam and 3/4 inch of card board. I'm blasting through it with 3/8" steel using a store bought black widow and factory bands. I'm adding to it a 30lb bag of kitty litter. So I can use it for an up coming project........ fyi the box looks like swiss cheese.

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

One side of my yard borders a creek and has a chain link fence. I simply hang a long strip of carpet from the fence and put the other end into a plastic kitchen trash can to collect the ammo. Cheap and as simple as it gets. And that carpet stops shots dead.

4. Hardtimes

Hardtimes Member

I like this method quite a bit, since you can roll it up and take it with you.

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^
    Thank you! Its also good motivation to become a better shooter. The carpet piece will become much smaller that way:D

6. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

The foldable catchbox is a great idea man!! Nice!!!
    When i shoot in the fields i usually use my t-shirt on the barbwires to stop my ammo and not loose them all.

7. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Joergs old box would've been pretty portable, it looked like the one a Sawzall comes in. Already has a nice handle and ready to go. Would stow nice in a car's trunk(boot), maybe a little big for the back of a bicycle or hiking though.

Something more minimalist would be even better. Like a tough, light blanket (kevlar would be nice) that funnels down into a backpack. then you would just need two points to hang it from and 2 minutes to set up.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  8. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

I made a metal toolbox in metal work this tear, but i really have no use for it.
    So i am going to turn it into a portable catchbox, i hope it will turn out well.

9. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I'd love to be able to use that method, but whenever I take my shirt off in public, Bigfoot sightings are all over the evening news. ;)

Cheap polytarp, I use 2 layers cut from a dog food bag, has stopped everything I've fired from a slingshot at it, even at point blank range. I put the two layers in cardboard cereal box, nothing gets through, and the box saves your ammo. In my garage, I hang this in front of a couple bedsheets my wife got me at garage sales. Up north, at my swamp, I put it on a sawhorse in front of a hanging polytarp.

10. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Good idea with the Kevlar blanket! Have you ever seen/used 'fire blanket' before Mike? It made of fiberglass and synthetic fibers and is very tough (fireproof too. So, testing flaming rounds is ok:D). Might offer a good compromise to Kevlar.

11. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash