Catch box question

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Jeremy, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I've seen some pictures of catch boxes online and have a few questions:
    1. What is the advantage of having shredded material behind the target over a solid cloth?
    2. What do you use to attach swinging targets?

I have been using a lanyard and bulldog clips, but the clips break if I miss the target and hit the clip. I've broken seven clips already.

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

I don't know what the advantage is, or if there even is an advantage. I've been using a piece of rope and a metal wire hook to hang targets, i poke a hole in a can and put the hook through it, easy as pie and unbreakable!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I would bet the shredded cloth is a solid cloth that has had a hard life!

I used to make plaster of paris targets for my air rifle (Very cheap and they explode!) with a small hole in the top and loop a piece of garden twine through the middle with a knot at each end then push the knots into a slot in the top of the catch box, if that makes sense?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  4. Jeremy

I wonder if the shredded cloth allows for more give when it is struck verses a solid cloth.

5. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect as a layer of cloth gets shredded in spots they just hang a new one in front of it and continue on.

My catchbox is a 40 gallon garbage can minus lid, upside down on a tray to catch ammo. At the back I used sheet rock screws to attach a piece of floor runner, doubled. This has full coverage side to side, top to bottom and is very tough. In front of that I have an old pillow case. This actually works better than the runner, as it is very flexible, so when a ball hit's it it "recoils" bringing the sides and bottom in, sucking all the energy out of the ball, then gravity drops it back into place and the ball falls straight down to the tray.

With just the runner which is a rubber backed low carpet, balls had a tendency to bounce and RTS.

A light layer in front, with 1 or 2 heavier layers behind would work fine.

My crossbow however does tend to penetrate the first light layer, but sticks in the carpet at the rear.

And yes I love being able to shoot BB-guns (All spring action, 3 pistols, one rifle) Crossbow, Blowgun (Just a 3'x4' chunk of pink rigid foam above my catch box) and Slingshot all inside, all from one chair.

Next thing on my to do list is a way to remotely throw a pop can straight up into the air some 20 feet. For BB gun, blowgun, slingshot moving target practice.

I am REALLY loving being able to keep my shooting eye in practice all winter long. Can't wait till the weather gets nice enough to shoot .22's outside. I'm going to kick my buddys butt!

6. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Jeremy, I use folded up beach towels and a string with heavy gauge copper wire as a hook. Take a beer bottle cap and drill a hole at the top to hang it, it makes for an advanced moving target. I managed to get 3 straight hits while it was moving.

7. Jeremy

My catchbox right now is an ActionPacker type storage container with an old short and towel hanging from a tension rod that is about 5/8 of the way back. I have another tension rod in ths front from which to hold targets. I an using two lanyards and picked up some 1 inch diameter rings to replace the bulldog clips.

I want to build a slightly larger and deeper catchbox this spring or summer. I get a few rts shots with my bb shooter when i shoot at soda cans.

8. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

There used to be a pistol range near me that had a high carbon steel plate that was angled down with a sandbox under it. The bullet would ricochet down into the sand and be trapped. Not sure how this would work exactly with slingshot ammo, but it couldn't be much different. I am also not sure about the angle of the plate.

Here is a web image I found, not sure who it belongs to, and don't know if these dimensions are correct to give the proper angle. The carpet would be replaced with at least 12" deep sand. The plate for slingshot shooting should be at least 1/4" or 7mm thick. Unless shooting real powder actuated firearms, the material wouldn't need to be high carbon steel. mild steel would work too i think.

The carpet could be glued to the back of the plate to deaden the sound of ammo strikes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  9. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

I saw one like this in Bushmasters shop..

10. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Back home, my 'catchbox' resembles the bed of a homeless person: two layers of dense house carpet and a chunk of a memory foam mattress cover. I hang this from my fence and drape the end into a plastics trash bin. Works perfectly and is cheap and easy to construct.

11. Longwei2012

Longwei2012 New Member

Smaller type clothespegs? Or make a hole in your target and then just pull a piece of the string/lanyard through and make a single knot?
    Just a cheap idea.

12. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

My favorite way of hanging targets is to run pop cans onto a piece of steel rod, and hang the rod by a couple of pieces of string on the ends.

For one thing the can doesn't disappear after the 3rd shot because the pull tab came off.

For another if you hit the can at the bottom it will rotate wildly around the rod and still be swinging when the next rod comes in.