Catch box/drape needed

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by JimRhodo, Jan 24, 2014.

1. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Currently using thick cardboard boxes 19cm x 47cm leaning against the hollow of a beech tree with permanently wet mud at the bottom. Smashing loads of marbles and now I'm experimenting with different distances I'm losing a fair few as they tree hit and then land after what seems an age.

Ammo catch requirements:
    Packs small
    Quiet to use
    Quick to set up
    Quick to take down
    Can survive getting wet

Idea so far:
    Tree to paracord to collapsible tent pole to two guy ropes to two pegs.
    Drape (would a bed sheet close weave but thin be stronger/ more resilient than a towel loose weave but thick?). Tied to paracord with 3x Prusik knots at the top loosely pegged at the bottom with short guy ropes.

Bottom of drape folded up and sewn to form pouch. Maybe a tack in the middle to give some support. What sort of size? How much of a margin beyond expected grouping?

Now that I'm not looking to pierce cardboard I might not need such powerful tubes (but then again I am shooting 20 metres)

Any ideas?

2. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

I might be moving on to steel as I can get mail order steel cheaper than the glass marbles I can get locally. Ie 3-4p and a big useless gobstopper marble which won't fit my pouch.

3. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

4. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Dankung target bag

The best target sheet bag for safe indoor and outdoor target practice.

Material: High quality thick canvas.
    Size:
    width: 70 cm
    Height: 70 cm
    Thickness: 20 cm

Features and benefits:
    1: Made of High quality thick canvas, Be able to resit at least 10 thousand times steel ball shot.
    2: Safer shot practice. Most ammos fall into the bag rather than rebounding randomly
    3: More economical. With this target sheet bag,90% steel balls can be re-used many times.
    4: Very handy and easy to use.
    It can be folded into a small bags for easy carrying.There are metal rings on the top and bottom. It can be hung in trees aected by the target sheet bag.

5. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

I use an old blanket that my dog tore up and folded it so it won't go through holes

6. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I believe it is TAOW that has an older video where he was testing a new shooter with a bed sheet strung up in similar fashion to what you have in mind. Nathan Masters also showed a portable that he made with a plastic tote box that actually stopped several of Joerg's shots from the record monster starship until he finally punched one through the back of it. Maybe just search Youtube for various catch box ideas.

7. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

My catchbox is plywood, towel, carpet tacks, and LOTS of epoxy (I love epoxy.) The trick to a hard matchbox is just making an angle, that way instead of slamming into the back of your box and breaking it, it deflects and hits the bottom. If your not dead set on a drapery catchbox yo might want to consider something similar

8. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

It doesn't take a lot fabric wise to stop even a lead ball thrown by a slingshot.

A pillow case works fine as long as it is free to move on 3 sides. I do back mine with a carpet runner.

Catch boxes can be incredibly simple and still work, like a fabric laundry hamper, or an old sheet on a pvc frame. The only thing I'd recomend is that if you are shooting heavy bands, have more than 1 layer.

If I was shooting outside, at different locations I'd probably make some kind of a pvc folding box, U shaped so you can angle the "wings" to catch flyers. And hang a couple of pillow cases, or sheet material in the center with some kind of catch system to let you recycle ammo.

But that is just my opinion.

9. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

So far...

Basic design is sound.
    A bed sheet should be fine as long as I double it up.
    Let the set up have a bit of give to it.

I actually have a bit of old tarp but it would be a bit noisy for my semi secret location.

The main things i need to source are a cheap or free tent pole collapsible, a bed sheet. Pegs are ridiculously cheap. I've got cord. And an inconspicuous bag to put it all in.

Thanks for the input chaps. I hope to get set up for less than a tenner.

By the way I'm using white marbles at the moment. Tracer ammo!

10. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I have a scrap chunk of carpet I use at my house. It is brutally tough, withstands weather and it was free!
    I was so confident in its resilience that I foolishly loosed an arrow at it from my Bowtech compound in a drunken moment. Anyway, it stops steel and lead balls very nicely...

11. Ghosth

Will I was actually surprised by how well my catchbox stood up to crossbow bolts recently.

12. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Interesting, Ghosth! I stupidly fired on mine from 20 yards out, and the arrow punched straight thru the carpet, thru a foot of dense Styrofoam and into the creek. $10 carbon arrow gone. Won't try that again!

13. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Massier projectile at higher velocity with an impaling point.

14. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Blue PVC tarp catch drape.

Well I spent an afternoon trying out a hastily knocked together drape. Not too bad at 20m as enough power was lost that there was little bounce. 10 metres put a hole through two layers of PVC. 5 metres was okay if I was on target but too much bounce generally.

Shame as it was light, folded small and could withstand the rain without getting wet. But I need something with more give. Or amazing accuracy.

[ame]http://youtu.be/1dwUlsKP8Bc[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  15. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Urgent ammo catch

None of my usual boxes at work. One a day is a lot of boxes I guess. Scouted about and found a PVC reinforced shopping bag. Give it a try. Suspended it from the beech tree and loosely guy roped it so it wouldn't rotate too much.

Result:
    At 10 metres an 8mm steel or 16mm glass just flew through the fabric like it wasn't there. If it hit the suspended can enough energy was absorbed that the ball would fall in the bag.
    At 5 metres I was delighted to find I was pretty constantly hitting the can and would either puncture the can and rattle about inside or would glance off it and sit in the bag.

Conclusion:
    Not a good solution fabric wise but quite a useful shape. Would have to be bigger to use at 20 metres.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  16. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

A large cardboard (20"X20") with a couple of phone books in the back and fill the front with cloth rags. The front of the box won't last long but otherwise effective.

17. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I got a few of these kind of bags from a suppliers convention at my old job, really strong bags (I use one to carry the forks I harvest and haven't busted it yet). Problem bing is that the material has no give like a regular fabric so it does very little to disperse the energy from the shot.
    If you had some old T-shirts or jeans or any fabric really you could cut it into strips and glue the strips to the top lip of the bag so they hang over the opening. You would want to lay them out in an overlapping fashion, but that should work fairly well

18. Ghosth

I suspect what you need is something like a pillow case, or piece of sheet, lightweight, but flexible to soak up the energy, then drop ammo into the bag.

I'd back it with the doubled polytarp, that should make good backstop for the light material.

Even 2 stakes driven into the ground, attach the poly tarp to it, tie a string across the top, hang your sheet/pillowcase and target from that. Put bag spread out below to catch. :)

19. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

One step nearer

Bought a set of pillow cases of such a vile colour that the shop had done the decent thing and reduced them to a pound per set. The colour I liked was considerably more. So the next bit of free time I get I'll start putting it all together.

Having lost my marbles (does this mean the same in America?) I went to my exorbitant local marble emporium and found there were only mixed gobstopper size. He let me fish around for any loose ones and charged me plenty for the last eight. It then started snowing and I had to call the practice off.

Hopefully the snow will have cleared by tomorrow.

20. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Deep Purple Prototype Ammo Catch

£2 for 4 pillow cases. £1 for tube of strong glue. The paracord I had already. The dirty bit of string to connect the unit together was lying on the ground. It was glued together as a prototype ammo catch and I tried it out yesterday.

[ame]http://youtu.be/_q0Ur2zF17o[/ame]

Conclusion

The colour is growing on me: suitable for a medieval royal catapulting party out hunting.
    The fabric has plenty of give close up and at distance.
    Cheap.
    Rolls up into practically nothing.
    Saves ammo which was the whole point.
    Right side came away as not enough glue.

Next step:
    Sew it all together for added strength.
    Maybe sew on some attachment rings. Two to keep the bag at the bottom open using two pegs and guy lines and three at the top.

If the hurricanes sleet wind rain and snow settle down I might get to use my assorted steel gift pack.