catapults vs slingshots

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by jnmbhj, Jan 30, 2014.

1. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

So what is the difference between a catapult and a slingshot or are they both referred to the same thing?

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Same thing. Different countries use different names. Don't feel dumb though, if I didn't have a few British acquaintances, I would've been confused too

3. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

They are the same. Slingshots are most often referred to as catapults in England and other Europeans who speak English.

-Wild Bill

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

A catapult and slingshot are the same thing, both are the real McCoy;).

5. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

So what do you call the medieval catapult in Europe?

6. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

The technical term for what most of us in the US call a "catapults" are trebuchets.
    Though technically a trebuchets uses forces created by a counterweight to fire its projectile, and what we would normally think of as a catapult uses torsion created and stored for the most part in ropes.
    So I guess I really don't know either...

7. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

It's kind of like this - in Britain they call a chip a crisp and a fry a chip and a cookie is a biscuit. They call soccer football and a truck a Lorrie. Your car doesn't have a trunk, it has a boot. Instead of a hood, it has a bonnet. Pudding here is like custard, but in Britain it's a dessert made with bread.

And, in Japan, the hand can be used as a knife...

As I recall, in Germany a slingshot is called a Schleuder

9. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

and to further confuse things a slingshot can also be called a shanghai in australia.

10. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

And a sidewalk a pavement, a freeway a motorway and a fender a wing. Oh, and you really dont want to know why we find the word fanny so funny!

11. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I know! I know! Knickers are another cause for cross-cultural misunderstanding. :)

12. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

slingshot, beanshooter/bean(ie) flip(per), catapault/catty (uk), flip (uk), poggey (UK), shanghai (Scotland/australia), ging (perth, australia)

biombo (panama), dan gong (china), honda/hondera/gomera (argentina/chile/uruguay), lance-pierre (france), lastik (malaysia), nakatik (thailand), pachinko (japan), prashka (bulgaria), prastie (romania), proca (poland), rekken (zimbabwe), resortera/recua/horqueta/hulera (mexico), rogatka (russian), sfendona (greece), sprettert (normay), tirachina/tiragoma (spain), tirador/saltik/pintik (philipines)
    German: Zwille, Zwuschel, Flitsche, Fletsche, Zwistel, Zwiesel, Katapult, Kartzi, Katschi, Kreuzbergschleuder, Spatzenschie├čer, Zwockel, Gambel, Schlatte, Steinschleuder