Casting Epic Fail! + 3000 C!!!

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by The Art Of Weapons, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Casting Epic Fail! + 3500 °c in home made forge!!!

here is my casting fail!
    i was going to cast some aluminium using lost foam casting like I have done many times before but i didnt realise that i was using steel to melt in the crucible in place of aluminium
    i melted most of the steel and was about to pour the metal but then my camera ran out of battery so i had to go and get the spare. when i got back the forge was going crazy hot and the crucible (made of graphite that melts at 3500 C) had a hole melted in the bottom!
    that is crazy hot!!!!!
    i will give this another go once my new crucible arives! :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Well you make a couple of good warning points.

A don't leave things like this unattended.
    B Be careful, don't mix your ingredients.

C Always setup so that if it does all go wrong, and does something like what happened to you, that you don't have to call the fire department to save your house.

Safety first, last and always when dealing with molten metals!

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Whoo, lucky it didn't get any worse. It still impresses me that a young guy like you even tries stuff like this. I don't think I'd even try it. Sounds like you learned a good lesson though.

4. I didnt leave it untended! :) that would be crazy!!!!
    my dad was there and we had a bucket of water and a fire extinguisher.
    Also what do u mean dont mix ingredients? :)

5. Ghosth

" i didnt realise that i was using steel to melt in the crucible in place of aluminium"

Was it ALL steel? If so I don't think you would have gotten the reaction you did.
    I suspect the only way to have accomplished that would be to have some aluminum, and some steel.

Steel itself will burn, but it needs more oxygen than it can get from just air.

"but then my camera ran out of battery so i had to go and get the spare. when i got back the forge was going crazy hot" Sorry if I misread that, but that is what I would call unattended. ???

Kudu's to you for having your dad there, and Kudu's to him for being interested enough to be there for you. Sounds like you have a good relationship going there.

The fact that you managed to not burn the house down says a lot about prior planning. In fact I'm Jealous as hell of your skills. I'd of love to been able to do that kind of stuff when I was your age.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  6. yep thanks
    he is really interested in some of the casting too so he likes to watch. also i wouldnt attempt anything as dangerous as that without him there.
    also now that i think of it some of the metal that i melted first could have been aluminium but i am not sure
    thanks for your help

7. AvB

AvB New Member

congratulations, you invented Thermite :)

8. Mulgarat

Mulgarat New Member

If you had a good mixture of aluminum and steel, you maybe got thermite! That's a mixture of aluminum and ironoxide, it burn with a heat up to 4000C° !!!

EDIT: AvB, we had the same idea XD ;)

9. AvB

AvB New Member

@mulgarat - seems so :)

maybe i should make a metal-casting tutorial....

10. Ghosth

Well I'm no expert, but it seemed like it would take that kind of reaction to melt his crucible.

The great thing is that everything except the crucible survived!

11. all of the remaning steel was dumped into the bottom of the forge and when it cooled and i pulled it out some of the forge lining came with it but that is no big deal!

12. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Ive made Thermite deliberatly but making it by accident must be scary as hell! Great that all your precautions meant very little damage, lesson learned and a cool story to tell! :)

13. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hey Artist,

I think you are lucky guy!- That thermite
    experience is something you will never forget
    in your whole life.- And I believe such an experience
    is way more precious that "just" casting iron, for
    it is likely to teach you to think twice, study, and
    gives you respect and a sort of wisdom to expect the
    unexpected..

That ammount of heat is fascinating, even just that one
    picture and imagining what you went through!

You have my respect for walking the road you´re on!

stay real!

Be

P.s.: -maybe some rethinking about that bucket with water
    could pay off!- Steam has 3500% of the volume of water..
    which in case will be claimed in a split second..

14. AvB

AvB New Member

@BeMahony

sorry that i have to contradict you.
    but such high temperatures will split water into oxyhydrogen.

trust me... the steam would be a minor problem.

you'll get plenty of "shhhhh" and a lt of "kaboooom" :)

THANK GOD that nobody put water into the melt.

watch this video:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cAiVh-oK50&noredirect=1[/ame]

15. Ghosth

Great video!

Flare up, die down, flare up, die down, then Kaaaa BOOM barrel up falling metal raining down, steam everywhere.

16. yep the thremite was quite cool!
    when it started going crazy i decided to not touch it because i knew that if the crucible breaks as I am holding it that could be really bad!
    also i got it on video when i took out the crucible and it is glowing white and i will upload it to youtube sometime (probably when i finish the casting)

17. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

"when it started going crazy i decided to not touch it because i knew that if the crucible breaks as I am holding it that could be really bad!"

The stuff of legend. I get the feeling this fantastic story was a close contender with tragedy but praise God fantastic story won.

HTML:

18. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

yep, putting water on that would be a disaster.

19. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

But I was on the right track, right? So you didn´t just contradict,
    you emphasised?!- that´s what it feels like for me..

Thanks for that video!

Greetings,

Be

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  20. AvB

AvB New Member

not really :) - water boils at 100°C (depending on airpressure), it cant get hotter that that, except it comes under pressure.
    A furnace is no pressure chamber, therefore the steam is not the main danger altough the hot splashing water is harmful.
    an explosion would not be possible.
    The pressure can't built up fast enough.

The thermal decomposition of water needs 2500°C+
    What means that, if you pour water in a furnace with molten bronze at 1100°C you have not to fear any explosion.
    The water will boil and maybe will shoot out some molten metal.
    That is, confessedly also a scenario, nobody wants to face.

But if you are above 2500°C water decomposites to H2 and O which is known as oxyhydrogen. And your furnace is at that point so hot, that you wouldnt need any separate initial ignition.
    Since the thermite reaction provides open flames... an explosion is guaranteed.
    This Reaction starts at 2000°C where aproximately 10% of the water gets decomposited immediately.

and even aluminum itself can burn. If your furnace overheats, that's no children's game.

please be very careful when it comes to metal casting.

Water, powder or even CO2 aren't suitable extinguishing media!

To extinguish such fires, you'll need Salts like Sodiumcholride (NaCl - ordinary Salt) or Potassiumchloride (KCl).
    dry(!!!) Sand will work too.

regards
    Tom