Casting Aluminum Slingshots

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by jnmbhj, Feb 1, 2014.

1. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

I have seen videos of people casting aluminum slingshots using lost foam casting.

I have read online that you can use a flower pot as a crucible furnace as long as you have some concrete surrounding it. Then you make a foam mold. put that foam mold on a large container and fill it up with sand. Melt the aluminum and pour it in.

So far I have these materials:
    Flower pot
    Concrete
    Foam
    large containers
    steel can (used as a crucible)
    a few hundred aluminum soda cans
    charcoal
    hair drier
    dirt
    Large metal tongs

Can dirt be used instead of sand because I don't have any sand.

Am I ready to go make a aluminum slingshot or am I missing something?

2. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Do not use dirt, u will have to use sand, because it is very heat resistant

Eat, Sleep, Slingshots

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hey jnmbhj,

I´ve never done this before! But: The concrete should be totally dry,
    otherwise the water in it will cool down the furnace consuming energy for
    evaporation.
    The material used for the mold should be dry either (see above) plus water
    in it may turn to steam, causing pressure (blow up that thing!)..
    Liquid aluminum is not funny I suppose..

Aluminum cans in europe have magnetic bottoms! Steel is magnetic!
    search the forum for thermite..

Alu cans are lacquered.. plus the thin material won´t be easy to melt,
    for it cools back down easily..

Sand is cheap!

If you have a metal pipe to get air into the fire, I guess a hole
    in the ground will definitely not break when heated..

That´s what´s on my mind about all that..

Did you see the tutorial by theartofweapons?

regards,

Be

4. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

Yes I have seen TheArtOfWeapons video on casting but he put a steel rod that caused the reaction. I have seen in videos where people will use a regular soup can as a crucible. I thought as long as there is no rust there is not oxidation to fuel the thermite.

5. You almost have all of thw tgings that you need but for the source of alm I would not recommend cans because thwy have lots of slag and melt really aloe becausebof all of the impurities
    I use scrap that I can get for free from my local scrap yard

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

6. Milbroproshot UK

Milbroproshot UK MILBRO PRO SHOT UK

What do you have the concrete for? please don't use dirt as a casting medium you will hurt yourself I have over 45 years in the casting industry and if you don't have a basic knowledge of how to do moulding and casting the you should do a bit more research ,I to have seen a lot of YouTube casting and to be honest with you it will not be long till some one gets hurt very bad

7. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

If you drop molten metal in your foot it will become the "lost foot mold". You should keep with the wood for a while, before trying danderous buildings.

8. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

But, but... wouldn't that be good for your business?

-Wild Bill

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  9. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

A while ago, I fantasized about pouring my own cast aluminum frame. Then I did some research and watched the YouTube videos from ArtOfWeapons and decided to pass on that idea. Don’t take casting aluminum lightly. It’s a hazardous process and mistakes can have disastrous consequences.

I’ve since found a local metal shop where I can buy different aluminum alloy sheets in a variety of thicknesses. The prices are OK and my world is a lot safer with me buying what I want instead of firing up a homemade crucible rig.

10. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

If you're hell bent on using cans you still need a ladle or a spoon (as long as necessary) for removing slag
    Also I've heard that you can use plaster of Paris in place of concrete, or even for the mold itself, if sand is not an option you might try that, but don't use dirt, ever. Sand shouldn't be too hard to find no matter where you are, it's just whether you are willing to get to it. New York has beaches doesn't it?

11. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

No...he seems to live too far from Brazil.:D

12. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

New York is not on the coast so no there are no beaches or none that I know of. There are a few lakes that have some sand but that's a 40 min drive.

13. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Go to a kids toy store. Look for sandbox play sand. Spend $4. Have sand. Try not to cause yourself or anyone close permanant injury whilst attempting to cast. Job done

14. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

There should be sand aplenty near at hand, considering all of the bad weather slamming the east coast. Any hardware store should be able to sell you a bag at a good price. Perhaps a stealthy trip to a nearby playground could lead to the acquisition of the coveted gritty goodness. Even a trip to the box next to the cat food bowl could yield some sand (if you find clumps im this variety, crumble them up by hand). Also, Amazon sells casting sand that is specifically designed for your intended purpose. If your heart is set on carrying out this plan, then it is worth doing it correctly and to the best of your ability.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014