Cast aluminium rambone slingshot! - using lost foam casting

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by The Art Of Weapons, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Hey guys / girls / both / others
    Here is my new cast aluminium rambone slingshot! The Slingshot is made by lost foam casting and I have videoed it all and I am going to have a full how to tutorial out some time soon but I have got lots of other thing that are going to be comming out sooner. :)
    The bottom of the handle is made of some homemade micarta and I am definitely going to make loads of other things out of it because it looks really cool!
    Enjoy and ask any questions that you have!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

2. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

That is a great one, I like how you adapted the rambone desingn to your own needs.

Great work.

3. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

amazing micaarti it looks like wenge!

4. dutch_slingshot

dutch_slingshot Just a Dutch guy

hey boy,
    i call you a boy regardless i think im just as old! i really like it, but could you please explain how your forge was made?
    i love all the stuff you do, because im into the same things as you,
    wish my father would buy me more woodworking tools!
    really nice job man! i love your micarta wood, and i think the rambone is the best design ever!
    keep up the good work!
    greetings,
    Paul

5. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Micarta is no wood :) its layered fabric or paper soaked in resin and pressed together to form a solid, strong piece of material.

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I was wondering just today when someone would make an aluminium Rambone and here it is! I should have guessed it would be you to be fair :)

Very, very nice job. The handle tip is a really nice touch.

Awesome! :)

7. I have got my old casting tutorial that explains most of it
    [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WfI7oA1VY78[/ame]

8. VERY NICE!!! Had a questions about lost foam (I used to do lost wax) casting, aren't the fumes extremely toxic?

9. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

EDIT: Deleted this nonsense I wrote, and hope nobody has seen it :D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  10. What fumes do you mean
    I do all of this outside also so there is always lots of ventilation (usualy some wind) so anything gets blown away really fast

11. Schultz

Schultz New Member

12. dutch_slingshot

im sorry,
    i actually knew that but...
    every one makes mistakes right?

13. I did lost wax casting in a crafts class in high school, it was inside. I was nervous you were doing it in your garage or something lol. Glad to know you follow safety procedure :)

Guess I should have waited longer rather than just reading really quick. didn't notice your vid you posted until now lol. (my internet is really slow right now, something is wrong with my modem I think :( )

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  14. dutch_slingshot

whats that clay like stuf in the forge?

15. You couldn't a coal forge inside because you would probably get carbon monoxide or somethig (lots of fun) and the clay stuff is a 50/50 mix of plaster of paris and sand

16. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Your work has become amazing! I'm continually impressed by both your craftsmanship and your creativity!

17. There are electrical units for baking casting molds.... Probably a lot more expensive than a coal forge though. As for using the forge to melt the metal an oxy-acetylene torch would do the job as would be safer to use in a closed area. Like I said there are many ways to cast, not sure which tools you were using for it until I caught the vid lol.

18. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

God damn impressive, TAOW!!!!! YOU keep impressing me everyday!

19. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

*Speechless*

Simply amazing work. I absolutely love it.