carving vs natural

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by nijam, Feb 9, 2014.

1. nijam

nijam tiro loco

I have four guava forks and i am undecided about make a carving job in them or not
    what is the most advisable curse of action?

I dont have pictures rigth now but I have two strong and thik forks and two thin forks

and i have doubts
    does carving job weaken the forks? or not?

2. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

I mean it probably weakens it but not to a noticable degree. If you have thick ones that cant fit your hand absolutely carve away, if you leave at least 1 inch in diameter there shouldnt be a problem.

3. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I'd carve away if I was you. It'll be fine. If in doubt, ask Ruthie.

4. FilthyRusty

FilthyRusty New Member

Carve!!!! Nature sometimes doesnt give beautiful clean lines where as a good set of carving knives can give you any crisp clean line you would like to see

5. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

If you start with a thick enough fork you can carve to your heart’s content and still have a frame left that’ll be more than strong enough. If you start with a skinny little softwood fork with cracks and knots, you may be in trouble before you start carving. The situation always depends on the fork and it'll be different every time.

6. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Whether they are carved or not is not the issue- it is the direction of the grain of the wood. As long as the natural fork grain follows the lines of strength needed to support the forks to the grip, carving or just sanding/polishing is not an issue.

-Wild Bill

7. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Make sure to get good carving tools and be carefull with the hands. Guava is hard to cut with blades and usually release splints or gets the blade stuck on it. If you don't have carving experience I advise you to try in a soft wood first.

8. nijam

nijam tiro loco

tanks for the advise but I am a carpenter and I have excellent tools and experience in woodwork but not much experience whit slingshots