Carving Knife From File

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by Bighaze51, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Bighaze51

Bighaze51 Professional Amateur Dude

Well, I finished up my cedar carving knife but the drill bit wouldn't work for me. I tried to heat treat it and completely ruined the blade. I ended up using a sawzall blade and it works pretty well. In my carving I've also used my file knife and noticed how much better it cuts. So I made this yesterday from an old broken file. The wood is all leftovers from slingshot builds. The center peice is the oak root I made a couple PFS's from and the liters are apple wood. The end cap is cedar. Finished with BLO and CA glue like always. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

nice carver

3. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

A beauty I loves it :)

J

4. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

A good handful. Lots of control there.

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice little carving knife. Have you tried it out yet? Is the blade holding up?

6. Bighaze51

This thing carves like a dream. I apparently managed to get the file into a knife without damaging the temper of the steel. I carved another slingshot today with it and am very impressed with the outcome. Stays sharp forever

7. Your carving knife looks great!

8. Bighaze51

It's working out nicely. I'm reworking the natural I carved the other day. It was a little bulky in the hand and I haven't quite bonded with it. It's starting to fit now!
    [​IMG]