carbon fiber slingshot

Discussion in 'Tutorial videos' started by Eumel, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Eumel

Eumel New Member

i just saw the video with the carbon fiber slingshot and i have some at home and would like to build one myself.
    i have absolutely no experience on making slingshots though.
    it would be really great if someone could give me some instructions on what to do, specially about shape and tools i need to use.
    thanks in advance :)

2. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Most of that depends on what kind of slingshot you want, and the current state of the carbon fiber. If it's in a board then I would recommend going over to slingshotforum and looking at their templates section. Find one you like and saw it out. I have no experience working with carbon fiber so I don't know what tools you need though

Just thought I should add that slingshotforum is inferior to theslingshotforum in virtually every imaginable way, but they do have a better templates section

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Just be careful with that stuff, man. I made a few slingshots out of CF, and it is nasty. You need to buy a special breathing filter mask (forget the normal paper cup stuff) or else you may catch all kinds of cancer.

The dust is really bad. It clings to your skin and tortures you for days. I had flu like symptoms and felt miserable. My workshop was covered in a fine layer of coal dust for weeks.

I gave it up quickly.

4. kiitos

kiitos Banned

That's right. The carbon dust is the problem.
    Go out, wind from backwards, and then you can saw
    with a normal jigsaw. Plates are nothing else than
    epoxy and carbon fibres. Take a fine (metal) sawblade.

5. Eumel

Eumel New Member

thanks for the answers.
    i have worked with that stuff for 3 months and have some industiral breathing masks as well so im fine in that regard (and yes i had black fingers for the next 2 weeks^^).
    @jörg could you upload or send me a picture of your cf-slingshot? that would be awesome :)

6. Eumel

Eumel New Member