Can a slingshot save lives?

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by Iinventedthestickshot, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Iinventedthestickshot

Iinventedthestickshot New Member

Not in the usual hunting sense, I had a particular idea in mind ... I had to check this one for spellings ... cricothyroidotomy; or an emergency tracheotomy ... for those that are scratching their heads; it's the procedure you might have heard of, where you make a cut in the wind-pipe and insert a tube to remove an obstruction. I think a carefully (very carefully) shot sharpened pen casing might be able to penetrate the desired area, at which point you can proceed to simply puff the undesired object out of the throat. It might very well save lives, worth a tinker perhaps.
    Of course you can use the rubber as a tourniquet, the ammo as a bung, the pouch as a bandage; the fork as a splint maybe ... any other ideas?

:D

2. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

i didn't understand all the complicated words you used, but got the idea, i think. why not?

would be not easy to calculate the exact dose how hard the penetration should be? or do you mean a device held against the throat with adjustible penetration depth?

3. Xanthos

Xanthos Nobody

Don't know i am no medical person.

4. Iinventedthestickshot

'Would not be easy' might be the understatement of the last, roughly 15-20 days ... I was only playing around, thinking of Jorg shooting a pen at 100 miles an hour into someones throat; to try and save their lives (bit of a sick joke that one, sorry) But you might be on to something there. If you had a small handheld, pen-like device, that in an emergency situation you could cock, then place in the right area of the throat and release. Well that ACTUALLY might save lives ... seriously, I was only joking, but that's actually possible ... I think ...

Me either, I saw it on tv ...

5. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

i had another life saving idea for slingshots once.

toy rockets with parachute and some lighting device instead of flare guns. (fire, led's, glow sticks, ...)

6. Iinventedthestickshot

Yeah, that's a good one ... I think Jorg fired fireworks once, I guess it would be similar to that.

7. Iinventedthestickshot

It's especially good, because it's easier to protect the rubber against water; over a flare gun.

8. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

I think an emergency tracheotomy pen would be a breakthrough for the quick response medical frontier. The only problem I forsee is that rubber is too unreliable for an exact poundage and would only be useable as long as the rubber is fresh. A single titanium spring would be supirior because titanium is unrusting and is very lightweight.

There would need to be a dial that moves the throat holder closer/further away to be more exact.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  9. Iinventedthestickshot

I'm starting to think the same thing Odin. But remember, rubber comes in lots of variations in density etc. and if protected from the elements it can last quite a while ... plus, you probably wouldn't want it to be re-useable because of hygiene (but it would be optimal) When it comes to depth, I have some ideas already that would simplify it without making it too complex a structure.
    Are you a medical man?

10. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

now that i think about it, i could shoot whistling arrows with my slingshot. i couldn't figure out how to make whistling balls. (posted this question long ago in this forum)

... with glow sticks attached to it of course ...

11. Iinventedthestickshot

The whole arrow could glow! Instead of an arrow, how about a glow stick with a little parachute? Like toy rockets ...

12. Iinventedthestickshot

Had a look around; there is a portable device for what we're talking about already, but it isn't like a pen. And after having a brief look at the procedure, speed, though crucial, is not best for the incision. However, this is still a good idea, even if we remove the projectile element and it's not as fun.

13. Iinventedthestickshot

I think one of the main reasons a flare is used, is because it's very bright ...

14. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

sure. but glow sticks glow much longer than for a few seconds. on open terrain i could pick it up and shoot it again for at least 6 hours. :D

15. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

... and it doesn't have to be that bright because i have a whistle in my mouth too. :D

16. Iinventedthestickshot

Not bad ... not bad at all ... I like it. Have to go now though.

17. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Man...as a doctor I can say that I really tried to imagine a use for a slingshot in emergencys.......but it doesn't make sense! The rubber is too weak to make a tourniquet (it would work on Joerg's giant stuff, not a slingshot). Usual slingshots have no tubes that can be used to open airways..... Rubber tubes are useless, it must be rigid! The fork itself is nonsense for life saving..... And you can't shoot a tube on the neck for clearing airways.... Even with a good shot you would go through the airways and hit the spine!!

18. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I cannot tell the number of time I have said, " I wish that my slingshot had a function to perform a cricothyroidotomy!";)

19. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Yup! I miss that funtion on a slingshot too!:D

20. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

Brazilviking, i believe you have missed the point of this thread's brain child.

We are certainly not talking about a normal slingshot. We are talking about having a slingshot like device propel a stainless steel tube into a dying victim's neck a very precisely determined length (and stopped at said length by a mechanical safety) by a medically trained professional like yourself to aid in an emergency tracheotomy procedure where time is of the essence.

If you still have questions, please ask away. I for one welcome the knolage of an MD to help flush out this concept.