CA Glue Finish, AKA Superglue Finish

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by kohlqez, Dec 5, 2013.

1. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

How is the "CA Glue Finish" done? Could someone maybe do a tutorial, I'm interested in the idea but I'm not sure how to do it.
    Thanks
    -Connor

2. sonnyboy204

sonnyboy204 Target Misser

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Use the cheapest, thinniest superglue you can. £1/$1/1Euro stores are the best places to look. Many thin layers are better than one thick layer. That video is a great tutorial, its the one I used. Oh, and make sure you have decent ventilation, the fumes are no joke!

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I've done CA finish on 4 slingshots now - it's really easy to do - just follow the tutorial by Nathan at SimpleShot that SonnyBoy linked in his post. As VW mentioned, I buy my tubes of CA in the dollar store - it's pretty cheap that way, and one tube will finish a whole slingshot, maybe more. Yes, that does make the cost per liter/gallon quite high, but you use so little, it's not an issue for me. Honestly, if I had a full liter of the stuff, it would never get used.

Here is what I've learned about the process:

* I always wear a disposable glove - latex or vinyl, as you don't want to get this stuff on your fingers, it will bond almost instantly to skin. Since I only use one finger to apply it, I re-use the glove on the next coats, just slipping my index finger into one of the other finger holes and using that one next. Less waste of the disposable gloves that way.
    * Work on small areas at a time, a few drops will cover a larger area than you may think - it doesn't take much. The first layer will probably need the most, but once the first layer is dry, subsequent layers will require less. Use only a little at a time. This stuff will run and leave drip marks when dry, which you'll then have to sand out.
    * Like VW said, the fumes are nasty, so do it outside if you can

6. AvB

AvB New Member

7. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

For those in the US looking for superglue go to the nearest harbor freight they have good, cheap, superglue. (Not to mention just about everything else)