Burnsville Natural

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by studer1972, May 18, 2013.

1. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

While I was out walking yesterday with my wife, a niece, and two nephews, I found a branch the local parks department had trimmed from an oak tree that had a likely looking fork. I didn't have a knife on me, so I couldn't cut it and didn't want to risk wrecking it with BF&I*. I went back today after work with my Leatherman, sawed out the part I needed and stripped the bark. Once I got it home, i gave it a quick sanding, then attached some 4x4x4 chained #32 rubber bands I had prepared for it. Nice fork, shoots straight with marbles and small rocks. Larger pebbles are slow and have a bad trajectory.

Since the wood was already dead for a while, do I need to worry about drying it or it cracking? Should I lash the cut ends with thread or waxed floss to prevent/slow possible cracking?

*Brute Force & Ignorance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The large stone is a nice dense igneous. The smaller stones are either broken concrete or some kind of sedimentary rock less dense than the larger stone. The large stone shot great from my Trumark FS-1 with standard bands.

2. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Nice catch mate!!! I think you should use wood glue on the ends to prevent cacks if you are not sure it is completly dry. You can never be too careful. Cheers.

3. BrPio

BrPio .

Nice little chunk of oak. I like it when the natural slingshots to look natural. A classic.

4. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

I agree with tokSick, use wood glue on the tips, any remaining water will pass through the leftover bark/bast.