Bugging out or bugging in

Discussion in 'Zombie / Prepping related stuff' started by moxieboy, Sep 30, 2013.

1. moxieboy

moxieboy New Member

In a zombie apocalypse when there is no laws of where you can go or what you can do what is better bugging out or bugging in

Personally I always thought about bugging out because I can stroll around and set up a perminate camp near a river away from civilization but now I'm not too sure, I mean my house is about 3 miles from the nearest town and I have solar panels for power and a huge water tank that holds up to 10000 liters
    The only problem is that I'm not one for close quarter combat and would much rather fight at a range
    I have plenty of birds and rabbits to hunt so I'm pretty set In that department

What would you guys do and if you could help me with my dilemma that would be much appreciated

2. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Depends on the situation. If you could survive the zombies (Not get horded on) bug in, and if you are getting attacked enough where the location becomes insecure you should then bug out.

3. moxieboy

moxieboy New Member

Yeah that's a good idea I think if there was an apocalypse I would bug in and stay undetected usually it's the heros that run around trying to be a one man army that get infected first

4. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

I agree, though with a zombie scenario, they're constantly seeking you out as the disease is trying to spread without any other objective besides feed.

5. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Our tentative action plan is to 'bug in' for up to a month depending on circumstances. We feel we are well prepared now to deal with the hordes of 'undead' or the 'about to be dead if they try to get into our place'! (evil grin)

6. Aussie_Al

Aussie_Al Banned

From a military point of view with well trained soldiers, well led and cordinated.

A well defended position cannot even be thought to be taken without a minimum of at least 3 to 1 loses.

Consequently, should you choose to bug in, and make your position well defended, with cleared fire lanes of likely "enemy" approaches, prepositioned booby traps and explosives in likely form up positions; similarly booby traps on approaches as they near.
    Along with obsacles to channel the "enemy" into a killing ground.

Also haveing 2 or 3 mates with you to dramatically increase your fire power. Then your position becomes economically untakable; as it will cost too much in men and ammunition, for what they will get in return.

Of course it is easy for me to say these thing given I have spent as life time as a professional soldier.

But PM me and we can swap email addy's for more information.

Cheers Allan

7. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Right on Allan. These are the lines along which we have been working.

To approach our first floor apartment via our rear balconey would be difficult and lead quickly to a world of hurt. Fortunately the (heavy) front door of our apartment is overlooked by a barred window offering a perfect killing field against any 'zombies' trying to gain admittance. Just a question of deciding which nasty to use...which would depend on the state of law if any remains

Memo to self: Must ask my friendly neighbourhood welder to make me up some caltraps!

8. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Choose your mates carefully if your going to be there for any time. Faults and problems become magnified if cooped up for any period of time under stress.

You have the option to have the best of both worlds, bug out and a solid home base.

Consider, a predator has a home range it is comfortable with, that it knows, so it can move anywhere throughout that range and know where it can find water, a dry place to sleep in a rainstorm etc.

Such a predator moving through that range is much much harder to find, pin down, get to know habits, before an attack. The wolf in that range will be seen rarely, but will know as soon as you step into his range.

Get yourself a good fanny pack and over the course of the next year on weekends go for "walks". Find places to cache food, essential items, places to sleep, sources of food, water. Get comfortable being outdoors, being on your own, relying only on you. Carry your slingshot, learn what you can do with it.

Use your home as base, and start ranging around it.

As you come back in sight of home look at what you can do to make it more secure.

If you were going to consider breaking into it to gain whatever, what would slow you down, what says "easy target" etc, and adjust what you can.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  9. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

I'd have to see a lot of traffic chaos if there was a nuclear attack, staying put for 24-48 hours would be the most logical plan.

10. Aussie_Al

Aussie_Al Banned

Hi Again All,

I am happy by swap of email address via PM, to be of any further assistance anyone requires, from a military point of view.

Such as if it practical, and you have the land available; a system of tunnels, to outflank any frontal assault.
    So that you have firing position, where any single shot, can potentially go through 3 to 5 lined up silly aggressors.

Of course these tunnels would be locked from your side only; but also capable of being locked from the other side, and checked weekly at a minimum.

Also totally camouflaged, to prevent anyone ever finding to gain entry to your place. Hence why IF found. The entrances are locked from your side, so they can proceed like 1 meter only.

To if absolutely needed, give yourself an immediate escape option; if the absolute worst ever occurred.

It is all pretty much common sense to myself; although if someone has not spent a lifetime as a professional soldier. Then the obvious to myself; they may of course overlook completely; with potentially deadly consequences to themselves, and/or their loved ones.

Cheers Aussie Allan

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  11. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Alas, I'm afraid escape tunnels are not a possibility for us. We have a bank immediately below us and I suspect that they might object. :)

However we have worked out one or two exit routes over the roof tops and have knotted ropes standing by.

We have the first floor of this huge 3 storey old stone building. There is an apartment above us but this has been empty for some time which could be a matter for concern. I suppose if a SHTF scenario develops it would be good to install some friends in it to prevent it being squatted by the minority groups here who might be problematic. Failing that then we shall have to trust to barbed wire (or razor wire if we can get it) on the roof terrace and on the stairway down to us. And lots of caltraps of course.

I wondered too whether a little psychological warfare might be attempted against the starving mob. A little notice on the door perhaps ?

" PLEASE TRY TO ROB US. WE ARE HUNGRY AND WOULD LIKE SOME FRESH MEAT!" ;)

12. Aussie_Al

Aussie_Al Banned

Ummm, start by NEVER telling ANYONE your real plans, but rather the opposite.

Disinformation works a charm, so you are planning to BUG OUT BIG TIME !......
    To everyone.

Never trust even your own shadow !!!!!!
    When it come the SHTF scenarios, as your life depends upon it.

Furthermore in any battle be aware of the possibly a little too easily seen distraction from any real assault direction.

Strategies win wars; tactics win battles.

Cheers Allan

13. Aussie_Al

Aussie_Al Banned

General Only Large Scale Claymore Type Explosive Defensive Materials....

Hi All,

In general terms only; or I will be on a terrorist watch list.

I can give instructions on how to make medium to large scale Claymore type defensive weapons: for defence of your bug in positions.

I will ONLY do this for people I know at least loosely from either this site, or other sites: and these people know me anyway.
    Preferably by personal email, rather than by PM; as I do not find PM's are anywhere near secure enough.

I WILL NOT AT ANY TIME however give you the instructions as to how to make the explosives. as there are fools enough on the web who have these sites.
    Some are okay, some are not, and some are quite down right dangerous. As a guide most of the most effective are fairly simple to make; and use very easy to obtain material.

So please take this as advice enough; if it too complicated, forget it.

Number one piece of advice; explosive do take the path of least resistance of course.
    So one has to make a funnel of strong resistance to direct the "bang" in a given direction.

Cheers Allan

14. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

I don't think email is any safer than a forum PM.

Anyway, what do you think about using spears to defend a high position(stairs, hill)?

The long shaft would give some range, but it would also slow down the whole thing...

15. jackate14

jackate14 New Member

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  16. Spears and Polearms are probably one of the greatest things for defending a position, especially if you have some friends with good aim to get your back with some sort of ranged weapon like slingshots or bows :)

17. azul

azul Junior Member

Bugging out big time

first things first in case of zombie disaster the zombies are just halfe of the problem.
    in the first stages of the attack will be a very high number of survivors and they gona fight and kill for any supplies so it isnt a good call to stay in large population areas.

I have traveled quite on depopulated areas by about half a day's journey from my home and identifying needed resources locations like water, fruit, ideal locations to set traps to get meat and fishing locations etc.

I have also identified places where i can temporarily stay overnight and some places due to their natural characteristics can be considered ideals as "permanent base" all of them are located in places where the local vegetation is so dense and away from inhabited places which makes them virtually invisible.

cheers