Bug Jacked Apple!

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Ravensbull, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

What is your opinions on this issue here guys? I'm considering filling in the worm holes with walnut saw dust and epoxy or it's own dust. Then again I'm contemplating leaving them as they are.

Attached Files:

2. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

fact

fact is:

the fungi always are the first,
    second is the bugs..
    So eiteher the cellulose
    or the lignin have at least been
    partially "eaten"..

So this is definitely weakened wood..

Be safe!

3. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Yes, I agree Be. But I took a tiny drill bit for cleaning cutting torch tips and I can touch and see all the bottoms of the holes now with no side tunnels showing either. Should I nuke it a few short times? It's bone dry and was cut from dead growth about two weeks ago. Forgot about it till now.

4. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I'd boil it in a light salt brine for a spell to make sure all the critters are good and dead- nuking it won't likely kill them.

-Wild Bill

5. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I figured that was coming from someone soon, time to do the dirt... Thanks Bill. It's for the best anyways the way it looks, you never know if any are still using the Condo. It's just the grip mostly which is a big plus.

6. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

to be sure..

best would be to put it in the oven,
    65°C, approx. 3 hours..

But the critters are long gone!
    - My point was about the substance of the wood
    having been weakened before..

But that can be measured by holding it only..

On the other hand, it´s good to know nature´s mechanism:
    Fungi-fist first, then comes the critters..

Didn´t mean to drive u crazy!

Enjoy if you´re sure about it (haptics will tell!)

Be

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  7. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Here is the monster "Apple Jacked & Cracked" also!

Attached Files:

8. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Thank you too, Be. Any input on that big one's fork cracks? I was thinking of cutting some colored felt strips to stuff in them with epoxy. Maybe red or black. Of course A LOT of wood is coming off first. There may be a small/medium Rambone resemblance hiding in there if it's not honeycombed with the grub trails!

9. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Ravensbull, I've never heard of using felt strips before, but I don't see why that wouldn't work. You could also do the tried and true sawdust filler. I've seen some pretty cool cracks filled with sawdust from a different type of wood or colored sawdust. Make sure you test the strength first though, don't want a fork tip in your eye!

10. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I'm not so concerned with the inner fork cracks as far as strength though considering this is lots of straight grain wood to surround it and a bunch of the inner fork area will be removed down into those cracks anyways. I worry a bit about bugged where you can't see much more. I've seen where guys actually split the fork following the cracks and then laminated in colored construction paper layers with epoxy then worked the exposed paper edges back to the surface too. A rough form of paper micarta basically.

11. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Why not just usung Termite poison spray and let it swim in oil for some days?

12. Tubes

Tubes weird kid in the corner

Because after the process you described, you will be inhaling "Termite poison spray" as you cut, rasp, file and sand away. :)

13. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

For filling cracks, fine sawdust mixed with glue/epoxy works quite well- it's how I fill most of my voids. If I want to add some color, I tend to use food coloring as it's cheap and doesn't penetrate in ridiculous ways.

-Wild Bill