Bring in the new year with a quote!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VWscooby, Dec 31, 2013.

1. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

"Derek said it is always best to end a paper (or a year ;) ) with a quote. He said someone else has already said it best." (Name that film!)

So with that in mind here is my news years wish to you all :)

“May the New Year bring you courage to break your resolutions early! My own plan is to swear off every kind of virtue, so that I triumph even when I fall!”
    ― Aleister Crowley

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  2. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

This from one of my favorite authors... Neil Gaiman.

“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.

Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.

So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.

Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.

Make your mistakes, next year and forever.”

Neil speaks from the bottom of my heart, too.

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

a bit like Jörgs, much shorter:

"Insight shatters"

.. one that is always on my mind

Another quote, a friend of mine brought home from scotland:

"Things explode everay day!" (shrugging, with scottish accent)

- delivers a certain kind of imperturbation..

Greetings to all of you,
    Happy 2014!

Be

4. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

I don't know if its work if you translate into english my grandfather told me once
    "Don't try to change the world!
    Try instred that your neighbours greats you when they pass you.
    Not couse you make what they want becouse they've got respect of you.
    And your childs always comes home with a smile on here face couse they happy just to see you"
    Thats my wish for every year and i wish it for you too!

(Hope it don't less too much in translation)

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I've got a good one from my childhood. "When you do something that's really good, you should get a badge that says 'don't bother him for little isht'. Because when I've had a little isht, I don't want to be bothered"
    -Gallagher-

Sent from my ME173X using Slingshot Forum mobile app

6. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

It's not as poetic as some other quotes here but I still thinks it's quite fitting.

"Oh no, not again." -Bowl of petunias (Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

7. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Here's something my father would say when the occasion arose-

"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff."

-Wild Bill

8. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

"Luke I am your father!"
    - Darth Vader

9. WildBill

-Wild Bill

Attached Files:

10. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

"If it was easy, anyone would do it!" ....Brazilviking

11. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

"Here's to the New Year. May it be a damned sight better than the last one."
    Colonel Sherman Potter

12. “It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.”

13. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

My father always told me" If you do something, make it right,or you have to do it twice.

14. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

So many to choose from. Here are some I've learned from and enjoyed over the years:

"Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order" - John Adams

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas Edison

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." - Leonardo da Vinci

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God, do you learn" - CS Lewis

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - CS Lewis

"This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections." - Augustine

"Pray as though everything depended upon God. Work as though everything depended upon you." - Augustine

"Scientists now believe that the primary biological function of breasts is to make males stupid" - Dave Barry

"Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night" - Dave Barry

"All generalizations are false, including this one" - Mark Twain

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Col. Harland Sanders (according to Ricky Bobby)

15. WildBill

I was asked to include this quote-

"If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library." - Frank Zappa

-Wild Bill

16. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

Thats what my father told me too!

17. Haecksler

Haecksler Naturalist

"S Leba isch wie n Kirschaboom; s schenkt ons haifich scheene Frichde, bloß wenn'd nonder fliagsch bisch hie..." ~Old wise Swabian

In English that is to say something like
    "Life is like a cherry tree; it gives us sweet fruits frequently, but if you fall off it, you're dead..."

18. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Happy new year :)

J