Brainstorming project ideas

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by Elastiman, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Elastiman

Elastiman New Member

Hello all,

Post any project ideas or advice for others.

I have 2 projects I want to work on:
    1)A blunderbuss, simple rectangular/triangular prism for shooting hacky sacks, bean bags, tennis balls, pool balls.

Problems to overcome: how to keep the ammo from fallin back out when shooting at a downward angle.

2)An auto cocking and firing launcher using a tesla turbine )Tesla CD turbine) of compact discs and a rubber transmission line magnetically coupled to the turbine via an external disc. That would impart rotational motion which would need to be turned into the cocking ad fireing motion somehow.

Problems:
    1)Figuring out how to turn the rotational motion into self cocking and firing.
    2)Theoretically, at some point the force needed to cock would overcome the magnetic force of the magnetic coupling of the transmission causing slippage. One idea, Turn the turbine into an electo magnet to increase the force.

If anyone else wants to attempt these please do and let me know how it goes.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

turning a tesla.turbine into a cd.launcher? mad scientist! xD stick to death rays..

and now serious... sounds too advanced to me xD

3. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

A few thoughts on the first one, you could use an upsized version of the pinch grip trigger mechanism (the one from the bull pup) or even just a modified basic one piece trigger. It'd have to be pretty big to shoot pool balls but the principle is the same. Maybe you could use the one where the trigger pushes the ammo up to catch the pouch except instead of pushing the ammo straight up it pushes it up and back through a diagonal channel into the pouch?

4. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Problem 1: Easy solution- don't shoot downward.

Problem 2: Good luck with this idea. Developing enough torque to actually cock a weapon that could be useful with the method described will likely be impossible to do in any practical sense.

-Wild Bill

5. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Not sure how you would feed repeat shots, but a handheld skeet launcher can provide the technology to hold a CD in place before firing.

Attached Files:

6. Elastiman

Elastiman New Member

Thanks for all your advice guys. I like that diagonal feeder idea. I also thought of the "just don't shoot down" approach for the blunderbuss. I have worked on some diagrams of my idea. The way its held should make it easy to aim slightly upwards and should allow for fairly easy cocking with small bands. I've posted it below.

As far as the turbine powered launcher goes. I'm starting to think it may not be easy to power a cocking transmission line to the exterior of the cd turbine. At least not with strong bands but who knows. Although I have seen someone attach a circular saw blade to one in the same way and cut a pumpkin with it so maybe it could be done with enough juice. We'll see. I'm determined to try this idea at some point though..once all the kinks get worked out in my head.

Let me know what you guys think of the blunderbuss concept.

Also, if you want to get an idea of how the turbine works just google Tesla CD turbine. There's lots of videos including the pumpkin cutting one.

Attached Files:

7. AtomikBanane

AtomikBanane A dangerous banana

The main problem here is: How to stop the piston/cocking handles part? If this part reaches the end of the barrel too fast, something will be destroyed. You can use the same stopping system as our blunderbuss which works really well. Or you can use a spimle cord but it will change the whole design of the launcher.
    Putting a "piston" instead a cord is good, but another problem of this system is frictions. Frictions will decrease the power of the launcher. To prevent this you can use some kind of metal rails in the barrel. It will reduce the number of friction points. But quiet hard to do.
    To keep the projectile in the barrel, you can use a piece of polystyrene. But it will add frictions during firing. And you really dont want more friction than you already have.
    OR you can put a piece of cloth to obstruct. Or don't shoot downward :D

8. Elastiman

Elastiman New Member

Thanks AtomikBanane for all your advice! I had some old packaging foam I got from work that I cut into strips and then screwed them onto two blocks set at the end of the rails and covered them in duct tape so they are cushioned. Ive been discovering the friction aspect the hard way and am working around some ideas in my head so I really appreciate your advice there. I've been trying to cut weight and redesign the piston a bit ( its now just a plate with holed drilled into it instead of an open cube). I've even pondered installing some sort of ratchet. I'm definitely going to have to tinker with it a bit to get it working right. Thanks again for your help.

9. Elastiman

Elastiman New Member

I ran into alot of trouble with this design. I had issues with the draw tension and the launching plate kept twisting to the horizontal. Overall there was too much friction. I changed it to use a small horizontal tray instead and a cocking cord instead of the bar but friction made it too weak for anything other than light weight shot. It was disappointing cause the trigger worked ok. I guess all creations aren't meant to be. I will be putting in much more planning into my next projects

This page was meant for any to project ideas so.. if you have any go for it.