Bowfishing crossbow slingshot

Discussion in 'Slingshot Crossbows' started by dlnd5d, Feb 4, 2014.

1. dlnd5d

dlnd5d New Member

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but have been tinkering with slingshots for bowfishing since Dave Canterbury made the video of his survival slingbow. I love doing these designs as I am studying to be a Mechanical Engineer.

My latest is a cross bow that uses old roller blade wheels with a groove cut in a lathe out of a Hyperdog tennis ball launcher frame guided with a green laser. I always use theraband silver anymore and this dude packs a wallop. With the bowfishing arrow, it goes through any gar I can shoot at. I don't have any bolts for it yet since they use half moon nocks, but I tested one anyway and it shot 100 yards before the bolt hit the ground. I tied on a stirrup for cocking since I used a caliper release instead of the conventional crossbow nock point. The reload time actually isn't bad since this isn't too heavy of a draw (80 lb?) but the pretensed bands makes it very efficient.

Let me know what yall think, glad to find a forum with stuff I like

Attached Files:

2. that really cool!
    i love the idea of using Rollerblade wheels for the rollers!
    also i like the trigger mechanism, is it an archery bow release?

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Great idea with the blade wheels. Decent bearings like that should cut down the friction right?

4. dlnd5d

dlnd5d New Member

I appreciate that for sure :) blade wheels have double bearings so with a spray of silicone they go for a solid minute after spinning. Yea, I wanted to do a custom trigger but I already had that release available so I figured out a way to mount it pretty easily

5. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Very creative. The carp shall be shot

6. FilthyRusty

FilthyRusty New Member

i want one LOL!!! what was the build time on this project?

7. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

Sleek! Can you post a picture or diagram of the trigger? To me that is the toughest part to get right!

8. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

Good luck with your engineering degree, looks like you have a great start. Looks like some out of the box thinking, the kind you always see on Jorg's videos. Simple, but very effective. Great job:)

9. dlnd5d

dlnd5d New Member

I came up with the concept and had the frame available so it was a week from start to finish with all the parts. A lot of bending and a lot of welding. But really fun to do.

The trigger was off an old release. I drilled a hole and secured an eye bolt square with the front. The rest was just bolts and washers to secure it in place. I also took a dremel to the top to make a makeshift Weaver rail to mount my laser for bowfishing and red dot sight for rabbits and squirrels.

10. dlnd5d

dlnd5d New Member

This is the tension while it's cocked. With these arrows and judo points, I get it really close to where the cheap red dot sight put it. I haven't tried to group anything but was able to shoot a bird off a limb and launched it at least 100 yards on an arch. Taking the reel off makes it a pound lighter and easy to maneuver up

Attached Files:

11. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone