Boltcutter for Ammo

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by tivo532, Jan 10, 2014.

1. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

What do you think of using this cutter to make an ammo? It can cut up to 1/2" wire/steel. Safer than using angle grinder with metal cutting wheel.

[​IMG]

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

The only thing I would say is that if you plan to do that, you can find a better price. I'm all for good quality tools, and spending the money when needed, however I'm not past saving some bucks from time to time by buying stuff that doesn't have to stand up to daily use in the construction field at places like Harbor Freight. I've got a number of items there and I've rarely been disappointed. Here is a link to a 36" bolt cutter through them for 1/2 the price of that one. Might as well save some money if you can, right?

http://www.harborfreight.com/36-inch-bolt-cutters-41150.html

As for making ammo that way, it still makes me nervous to shoot sharp edged ammo due to a couple of hand strikes I've had. But it is a cheap way to do it if that's what you're going for. For me, I'll stick with nice round ammo for now :)

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I honestly believe that an angle grinder would be a better investment, at around the same price. Used with the correct safety implementation, they are a very sound tool. I've never been hurt by one that I didn't misuse (and I have been forced to misuse many). Aside from that, they are an excellent slingshot building tool. Grab some good 60 grit flapper wheels (aka pearl disc, tiger paw) and watch wood vanish!
    Much better than leaning on a bolt cutter, in this guys opinion!

4. sballammo

sballammo New Member

Another one for the angle grinder. The bolt cutter will tend to squash your piece leading to accuracy problems.

5. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Thanks Withak for the harbor freight link. Since I already have a grinder, I can use it to smooth or round it up a little. Just thinking it might be easier to cut them into pieces using the bolt cutter. Cheers!

6. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

Thanks Will! I got an angle grinder and just exploring a better/safer way to cut rebar/steel wires. Good inputs!

7. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

If you happen to have a miter saw (chop saw) you might consider buying abrasion discs for it. That would be the cheapest, and safest, method yet for cutting metal stock.