Bolt with wingnut projectile crossbow?

Discussion in 'Slingshot Crossbows' started by BoyntonStu, Dec 25, 2013.

1. BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu Member

I am looking for the crossbow video in which Joerg shoots a bolt by pulling on a wing nut. He then shoots it with a slingshot.

IICR It was black and it captured the bolt head and each side of the wingnut was cocked separately.

Thanks in advance.

2. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI8hpf6KNyk[/ame]

3. BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu Member

Great! Thanks, Man O man I looked for an hour and I could not find it.

What I believe is that you have created a MAJOR breakthrough design.

AFAIK This invention is the first "arrow" that is pulled, rather than pushed.

IMHO Anyone interested in making a lethal weapon, humane for hunting, should consider watching:

Arrow Lethality Part 1 Ed Schlief

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5KuoZ3q_4k[/ame]

My conclusion is that a 45 g sharp broadhead at 45 m/s is sufficient for any North American game.

A 45/45 might be a good name for it.

I would like the "wingnuts" to disappear when the target is hit to allow full penetration.

(I have an idea for eliminating wingnuts.)

FWIW There is no need for 30" arrows when a 6" bolt would have many more advantages.

4. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Well I've got no idea what you're saying with your acronyms, but I completely agree that the wingnut hinders penetration but I think Joerg is mostly concerned with targets rather than hunting.
    If you wanted to use them for hunting I'd recommend either creating a broadhead with something similar to the wingnut At the base or sharpening the edges that would hit your quarry

5. BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu Member

Hi!

Yes, there are 2 major groups, target shooters and hunters/self defense.

I have a way to eliminate any "hilt' protrusion that would stop penetration.

I am in Boynton Beach ,FL. You?

6. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I don't hunt (as I don't have the patience, and also no need), and I never had to defend myself either as nobody ever attacked me.

But it is not hard to imagine such scenarios. All it would take is a broadhead with a rounded backside that allows you to hook the bands onto, and some means to lock the rear end of the flechettes to the lock of the crossbow. That could be a loop of paracord or a notch in the rear end of the flechette itself.

I think paracord would be the way to go as the paracord would act as fletching, stabilizing the flight.

A bolt that could be punched out of sheet metal and that is then attached to an aluminum or wooden shaft would work just fine.