Bola Launcher for Anti-Balls?

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JoergS, Jun 24, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Haecksler's "Anti-Balls" are really a nice concept. They will hit the target with edges no matter how they turn.

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f6/anti-ball-die-anti-kugel-29958/

I immediately loved the concept, and planned to make some of them. Bigger, of course. Much bigger.

As one of our fellow members pointed out in a PM to me, RTS shots with these little killers would be desastrous. So I think these projectiles are best to be shot from a barreled crossbow with slots. RTS shots can not happen this way, as the bands to not follow through.

Then I thought: Why not using two of them, linked by a length of steel cable?

I plan to make a two barreled shooter, with a slot on top of the barrels for the steel cable. The triggers should be adjustable so that one barrel can fire a bit earlier, in the hope to get some rotation. The angle between the barrels will also be adjustable so the shots can "fan out" a bit.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

that would be so badass!

3. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

This one or this one! :)

Attached Files:

4. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

On another forum they were discussing this concept using hex nuts. They used this "chain shot" in several wars. When loaded in a single cannon they pick up a rotation of their own.

5. G_Y,

Rofl.

What a great idea.

The damage at a rts from the first one is not to heavy!

Joe

6. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I have also been thinking about this, but as Flipgun said, with Hex Nuts. I think for maximum coolness make it side by side :) Maybe a bit hard to do that, tough...

7. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Yes, a side by side is EXACTLY what I am planning on. Like, two independent sling-x-bows, mounted next to each other. The triggers will be pulled at the same time, but with adjustable delay.

8. Courier

Courier Senior Member

This sounds like a good idea, Jörg!
    With this ammunition you can immobilise the zombies so they cannot walk anymore, and then they will crawl. It is far easier to kill a crawling zombie than a walking one. :D
    I think we all are already excited what you will come up with. :)

9. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

One more crazy weapon is comming on... Can' t wait!!!

10. Lars

Lars The Evil Genious

i think the rotation principle doesn´t work

because:
    even if one goes earlier both will have the same speed and are just flying one after one

so... no rotation

but with two rubber guides and two bandsets from different strength will work even better
    because:
    one is faster than the other and only THEN they will rotate

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I think this is a great concept, and I eagerly await seeing you breathe life into it! What a nasty weapon that would be...!

12. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i honestly think they'll rotate anyway

13. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

You' re right they will rotate anyway imo.

14. Maulwurfsurfer

Maulwurfsurfer Junior Member

How do u want to build the trigger? because if u build them by ur own the antiballs will always rotate as long as say have a speed diffrence (just like Lars said).
    so my idea would be to take the same bandsets and shot the same time. just to test it. if they should not rotate u could just add a brush or something like that to one barrel to slow down one projectil. this should be enough.

keep it up

can't wait to see u destroying something

15. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

This will be absolutely wicked.

It would be great if you also try a set that are smooth cubes with sharp edges. So far this has been shape most likely to punch all the way through sheetmetal in all the stuff I've tried. Ones similar to the anti kugels were more apt to ricochet from steel than go on through in one shot. In zombie flesh it would be devastating either way;)

I'm curious which of the two would go deeper in gelitain. Cubes cut like a blade, or the edge of a punch, while anti-kugels look like a shredding ammo. My guess right now is that cubes will penetrate deeper in an equal test.

I'd love to see cubes compared to anti-balls in gelitain and other meaty-type targets with slowmo with and without the cables attached.

16. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I think it is psycho.......LOVED IT!!!
    Just like a "boleadeira"!

17. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

delayed triggers sound like one would come back before you could launch the other i would not do this but if you got the guts go ahead.

18. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Nice Project :D
    I know that it Work, with a Single Barrel, but I hope that you can realize, your Concept! I cant wait to see the Impact from this nice Things in Ballistic Gelatin!
    Maybe you can Defeat your Oreo Ammo :D

19. Traveler

Traveler Junior Member

I would think that the slight difference in size/weight, pull on cable etc. will get them rotating eventually if shot together. I just don't know if that would happen soon enough in distance. This is a physics/engineering problem. JoergS you still use engineering solutions for your builds and have come up with so much cool stuff already I am sure you will find a way and.....by the way there are plenty of us who will enjoy your end result as well as your process of design! Thanks

20. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I don't think this can return when shot from a slotted barrel. There is no vector towards the shooter, and no possible entanglement either.

If one ball is faster than the other one, then it will simply fall in the lead, dragging the other one on, like dogs in a sled team.

I think ideally there would be no spin - just a parallel flight with the cable in the middle. This way a hit will cause a bondage effect :)