Bodily Harm caused by slingshots

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kohlqez, Jan 9, 2014.

1. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Ok so it started last night whilst I was burning a design on my latest slingshot. I was almost done when my hand slipped and the burner slid into my left wrist. It was painful but I got over it. It will however be a scar people see and assume I was cutting myself, but such is life. I went back to work on my sling and almost forgot about the wound.
    And now this afternoon, less than 24hrs after I burned myself, I gutted my thumb with my router while cutting band grooves on the same slingshot! After a lot of blood, 3 bandaids, and the shock wore off I sit composing this thread to ask a simple question, is it normal to have a slingshot that tries to kill you? Or is mine just cursed? Anyone else have this much pain as a result of one slingshot?

Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. (At least I think I'll be fine I'm not a doctor or anything) there's no permanent damage (that I know of...) but I'll be unable to shoot for a while though, and not sure how productive I'll be in the shop.
    Side note: don't use a plunge router upside-down!

2. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I think that a good slingshot demands blood sacrifice, who are we to stand in its way?

3. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Well it got plenty of blood! I hope the "good slingshot" part happens now

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

So far mine have only gone on the attack when shooting with them. They get especially aggressive if I feed them the wrong ammo - a jagged rock, for example. One left me with a scar I'll have for life when I ignored the warnings. We're on better terms now, though the thought of slipping it a little fork hit has crossed my mind (don't tell him that).

5. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Haven't had an agressive/cursed slingshot so far, glad to hear you'll be fine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

6. EnesK

EnesK Call me the boss

i had one already
    first i cutted myself with the jigsaw
    then the dremel also caused some blood
    and then i cutted myself with my knife
    i was pissed off by a piece of wood
    after that i soaked the half finished sling in linseed oil uhmm i mean gasoline
    and i burned it hahahahahahaha
    True story

Enes

7. MrJoeGuy99

MrJoeGuy99 New Member

i've only ever hit myself in the finger prematurely with my pencil crossbow, i would like to see this slingshot when it's done

8. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Well almost there, have to use a sanding tool (I usually do my sanding by hand but I just can't get a good grip now) fortunately (or unfortunately if you wanted to see a blood-stained slingshot) I got all the blood stains out

9. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Hope it's not that fork I sent you. If I sent you the fork from hell how would that make me a good trade partner! I never get any serious injuries while building, but it use the files for most of my work. But the most dangerous tool is the router table. It scares me. Once the bit flung out an dame close to busting and cutting my finger, but it was two inches away. Anyway good luck.

10. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Sh*t happens... But attention and safety measurements is fundamental!

11. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

You definitley shouldnt use it by itself upside down, you can get reasonably priced router tables that your plunge router goes into so you can do the job.

As for bodily harm when constructing things, I dont think I've ever built something where I havent nicked, cut or scratched myself.
    So far nothing major has happened, I try to be as safety conscious as possible although to get some jobs done you have to throw caution to the wind!

12. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Ouch! What a run of bad luck! I hope that you heal up quickly!
    I can't say I've had a truly malicious or spiteful slingshot, but I have managed to do myself some harm.
    Tried to change the blade on the miter saw (while moderately intoxicated). Hurt.
    Managed to rasp my finger instead of the slingshot I was holding when my thoughts turned to my beer.
    Other than that, I've done ok

13. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I made a natural that lay in wait during the construction phase and tried to kill me when shot. I gave it to a guy that shot with the other hand and they have been happily ever after

14. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Actually it is the fork you sent lol, but it's not your fault I hurt myself. I was using the wrong router bit and it was upside down, honestly I'm just lucky my thumb is still attached to my hand and movable. In all honesty I could have really f***** myself with what I was doing.
    I hope this incident at least reminds everyone that these tools are no joke, always be safe

15. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Sounds like operator error. The only way a power tool can hurt you is when you get complacent. I learned safety from my father growing up and then shop teachers. I'd like to take a moment to give Chris Media a shout out, all the horror stories you told and all the safety first lectures didn't fall on deaf ears. The Times I've been hurt by power tools since woodshop(19 years ago) have been malfunction or complete failure of said tool.

16. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

You're definitely right, there's no doubt that it was operator error. I just hope I learn my lesson

17. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

You may want to set that one aside for a time, to fully heal. And be aware that it has tasted blood, and be on your guard!

18. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I've been making naturals with hand tools (rasps mostly) so I haven't hurt myself thus far. And I'm completely in agreement with Dolomite- shop injuries are almost always operator error. In my 30 some years of woodsmithing, I have never had a significant injury. At the same time, I also respect my tools and show my respect before I ever turn the power on.

Perhaps the most common 'injury' I've seen amongst old-time craftsman who use lots of power tools is hearing loss. I know far too many half-deaf cabinet and furniture makers and it only takes half a second to slap some muffs on and prevent it. Pity...

-Wild Bill

19. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Was it The Stone Temple Pilots?

Take time with a wounded hand, because it likes to heal!

After a lifetime of working with my hands, I can tell you wounds are gonna happen. I have done all sorts of things to my poor hands to make them bleed and blister.

Here are a few
    almost sliced off my left thumb.
    ran a cutoff disc into my left pinky
    Drilled my fingers many times
    grinders have taken skin and flesh on numerous occasions
    blood blisters, burn blisters, friction blisters
    Recently i deep fried most of my right thumb in peanut oil while cooking in a really hot wok
    One of my all time favorites, Ran a hot (also electrified) mig wire through the ball of my left thumb along the inside of my hand and well into the flesh and muscle. The wire had a large glob of molten metal on it, so it made a giant puncture wound that almost cauterized itself. Almost but not enough to prevent a horrible 3 week infection which needed Cephalexin to finally get it gone.

I play right handed guitar, so I try to guard my left hand as much as possible. Sometimes gloves will help protect your hands, and other times gloves will help a bench grinder rip off your finger or whole hand.

Sorry for such a long post, but if it makes you slow down and be safer, then it's worth the effort.

20. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Dolo and Bill, you guys have brought up a somewhat sore subject with me...

MY SCHOOL DOESN'T HAVE A SHOP CLASS! Isn't that just tragic? I feel like my high school years have been a complete waste! When is anyone ever going to need algebra, or geometry? What use does anyone have for English literature 1, 2, 3, or 4? How bout teaching us how to stay in one piece when we use tools instead?
    *whew* glad I got that out...