Blacksmithing

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by Xanthos, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Xanthos

Xanthos Nobody

Anyone already had experience in the forging of steel from you? Tomorrow may be a a forging class take part and me an axe forging from a steel sheet. Takes about 10-12-hours.

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

That sounds like a great experience! I wish they would have something like that around here, I would love to attend.
    Make sure you get some photos to share with us!

3. Xanthos

Xanthos Nobody

We do unfortunately no pictures of the forge and of the work. Only by the result I'm going to then one or two pictures

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Oh I see. Well, I hope that you learn much and have a good time! I will like to see the finished ax too!

5. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I might start forging with my friends dad because he and his dad made a forge and has a lot of access to a veriety of metals tools and such I got great sand paper from his dad that won't ever break!

J

6. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I think joerg should make a slingshot camp every year and everyone from the forum comes to a bit in the wood we bring little clamps glues etc and collect branches, shoot some shots, make some slings, trade advice give each other slings and generally have a good time but it might be awkward cause I'm 12 and most are 20 + XD

Just a thought

J

7. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

I made a tomahawk head yesterday from sheet metal... That must be fun!

8. Xanthos

Xanthos Nobody

When you made it you have fun but not that you made one and that must be fun. Shut up your silly mouth in my threads. I believe anything you

9. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Never done it, but I have friends (and an SOB of my acquaintance) that have. I love seeing the results of hand forging, tool marks and all. Be it never so crude, it's fun using a tool you made yourself.

10. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

^:D
    "An SOB of my acquaintance."

Hahahaha!!! You've met that guy too, eh?:D

11. Schultz

Schultz New Member

I have not big experience, but I look forward to your Finished Axe :D
    Have Fun at Work ;)

12. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Will: the guy's a jerk, but he makes nice blades and chainmail. I dislike him a lot, but I must concede his skills at the forge, tailoring, and even furniture making.

13. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I hate it when people with that much skill act arrogantly and rude.

14. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

I don't have any experience in metalsmithing, but I'm very excited to hear about your upcoming class, Xanthos!

I think it is a beautiful art form that definitely needs a bit more reviving.

Have fun, and I look forward to seeing your future projects. Something tells me they're gonna be fantastic! [​IMG]

15. Xanthos

Xanthos Nobody

I call it my Brute axe. I don' have it sharpend. And i let it rough and black from oil cooling after harden.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  16. Xanthos

Xanthos Nobody

Weight with handle 2,1 kg handle 70 cm long.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  17. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Wow!! This looks great! Very nice job, looks like you have a natural talent for blacksmithing

18. Xanthos

Xanthos Nobody

It was hard work and i had a lot of help.It took much sweat, and more water for cooling myself

19. Schultz

Schultz New Member

20. Xanthos

Xanthos Nobody

Thanks